Pohopoco Water Temperatures

U

Upstream

Is there an agreement with the operators of Beltsville to maintain water temps in the Pohopoco ? See the gradual increase in temp over a period of about a month followed by a sudden drop.

http://nwis.waterdata.usgs.gov/pa/nwis/uv?cb_00060=on&cb_00065=on&cb_00010=on&format=gif_default&period=180&begin_date=2012-10-18&end_date=2013-10-18&site_no=01449800

They are not allowed to release above a certain point. Think it is 65 degrees or something. The sudden spikes and drops usually revolve around high water events.

The operators of Beltzville seem to be aware and are happy to communicate information through their FB page. I have many times asked questions regarding temp spikes and they have answered. Also, I requested a flow average for a certain weekend for a event I held on stream and they were happy to oblige.

They have an agreent that includes cooling the Lehigh, but someone else can maybe clarify that.

The sudden drop in water temp here and there through the season is due to gate changes from one elevation to another in the tower.

Correction to previous post; They have an agreement that includes bringing up the PH of the Lehigh, which also cools the river. The suden drops are releases from a different gate. like LR said.

Back