Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Pohopoco USGS flows

From Carbon County
I was hoping the pohopoco would be fishable today but according to the usgs flow data they released almost no water the night of the 30th and morning of the 1st and now it's the highest CFS it's ever been by almost 500CFS? This can't be right? Am I reading it wrong?

USGS Flow Poho

It's also showing something similar for the lehigh. Not such high water today but its showing almost no CFS for 30th-1st. Glitch?

Posted on: 5/3 9:22

Re: Pohopoco USGS flows

From Harpers Ferry, WV
They were holding back water to keep the flooding in the Lehigh to a minimum. Now they are lowering the pool of excess water they had built up during the storm. They usually hold it back until the Lehigh has crested and started falling. The amounts on the USGS sites are most likely not wrong.

Posted on: 5/3 9:29

From Carbon County
Ok that makes sense. I looked at that number of max recorded CFS of 748 and thought it was the max flow the crrek has ever hit but now that I thought about it I think it is the max year as an average.
Thanks but I was hoping you were going to say, flows are great, huge hatch going on, dry fly action is awesome. Haha

Posted on: 5/3 9:50

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Live there. Flows are high and basically unfishable. Also not that Pohopoco Drive is closed for the next 2 years.

Posted on: 5/3 20:59

I drove over it today Sunday and it is the fastest I have ever seen it flowing they have to be releasing a lot of water.

Posted on: 5/4 14:13

From Carbon County
Yeah I stayed away from the Po yesterday. Went to the Lehigh ( in the gorge) expecting it to be unfishable and it actually wasn't to bad but it was pretty high. Ending up having a good day despite the high water. Still grannoms popping up here and there ( nothing like the blizzard of them I saw last Sunday and Monday) and a pretty good hatch of hendricksons turned the fish on after lunchtime. Saw a few blue quills also. I stayed until dark waiting for spent hendricksons but none showed up.

Posted on: 5/4 14:31

Normal pool for this time of year on Beltzville is 628'. The chart below shows it over 629' currently. You can be sure that the Corps will always be pulling the lake down whenever it is over that level.

Resized Image

Posted on: 5/4 16:51

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com