Pohocopo Help Needed

O

outsider

My wife and I are going to take a ride to the Pohocopo on Thursday morning to do a little fishing, then on to Jim Thorpe. I haven't fished the Pohocopo for decades. Can anyone help me with the following questions?

1) Where to fish with easy access and easy wading. Wading is problematic for me. My wife will sit along the creek and take in the day.

2) insect activity or suggested patterns

3) Which stretch of water holds what kind of trout (i.e. stocked adults, stocked fingerlings, stream-bred trout)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, please post or pm me.

The two easiest spots to wade fish will be just below the dam at the stream gauge (need to take the detour to get there from 209) and just at the 209 bridge (there is a stone road that loops under it from 209.) I would suggest the spot near the stream gauge since its quiet and peaceful.(for the wife) Very easy wading, but low water = spooky fish. Its a mix of stocked and stream bread browns and rainbows in that section. (from fingerlings to 14” range) Swinging wet flies works well. Not sure of any surface insect activity at the moment.

Outsider,
How did you fair on the Po ?

Don't know why I'm having trouble with pm's. Anyways, we got the gauge station around 9:00 and there was a sizeable trico spinner mass over the low head dam. However, they were tight against the bank on the gauge station side of the creek and that's where they fell. What a waste of a good spinner fall.

There were midges hatching when we got there so I put on a midge pupa. I caught 10 or so trout (rainbows and browns) and missed/stuck perhaps 10 more. When it clouded up, the midges stopped hatching. Not a bad few hours considering I haven't fished the stream for decades.

Back