Poe Paddy Tunnel

vanorvis

vanorvis

Anyone have the latest word on the tunnel?
It is suppose to be done by the end of the month. Just curious as to what the progress was.

Hooray! TCO update as of 10/4 says it is still closed for repairs?

I was just there, walked thru it, read the signs, etc. Tell TCO to update their updates.

Thanks for the Info !

mszoke1802 wrote:
I was just there, walked thru it, read the signs, etc. Tell TCO to update their updates.

This is confusing. You "read the signs, etc.?"

Is it legal or permitted to walk through the tunnel or not? I think that is the question de jure.

You guys are reading into this too much. The 'signs' said the tunnel is open. Feel free to go check for yourselves.

mszoke1802 wrote:
You guys are reading into this too much. The 'signs' said the tunnel is open. Feel free to go check for yourselves.

I intend to. Thanks for posting the update. I was not questioning the validity of what you reported. I was just pointing out that TCO still said it was closed on their stream update. Doesn't mean they are correct and I appreciate your first hand report.

More importantly, how was the fishing? I was going to go up last Friday but was worried the water was high and muddy with more rain on the way. Guessing by now it's probably low again.

I was up on Penns prior to the recent rain. The creek was very low and most of the fish caught were thru the tunnel and down the trail a few miles. Long hike but worth it in the end.

I could not have read anything into it. Thanks for clarifying.

I was up there today. There are a few "Trail Closed" signs, but the tunnel is obviously open and people are using it freely.

Yeah, there are somewhat conflicting signs. One says "Trail Closed Mon-Fri", one says "Trail Closed", one of the "Tunnel Closed" signs is still up. I didn't see any "Tunnel Open" signs. The tunnel is pretty much done. It looks as though they have one more section of concrete to pour before it is truly finished.

Well explained Rovert. I have to say, the tunnel looks pretty great. I really dig the stone work they did on either side.

IMG_0325_zpsnwslcpef.jpg

Did they do something to solidify the roof of the tunnel?

Walking through there I always noticed the rocks lying at your feet. Knowing those rocks fell from the roof of the tunnel, I just hoped none fell while I was walking through.

Yep. They put up nice sheeting around the sides and top. It's like a long funnel. Very nicely done.

I walked through the tunnel yesterday morning. There was a work crew at the far (south) side using pneumatic drills, etc, quite loud. The crew let me walk through no problem but I did have to tiptoe around a freshly poured concrete slab on the south side.

The crew said that officially it's not done and open, but that people can use it. Supposed to be done and officially open in about a week.

Very nice job. It's like walking though a huge corrugated steel culvert pipe. It appears very secure against overhead rock falls.

Thanks again for all the info, Good Lord willing I will be walking through it this weekend.

Back