Poconos

billfrech

billfrech

I will be headed up to the Poconos ( in a few weeks for a family vacation. I would like to get a bit of fishing in while I am there. We will be in Canadensis, PA.

I would appreciate any stream recommendations where I might be able to fish and the stream temperatures will be OK.

I would be fishing the Brodheads. It will be close to you. I really like the area below the Rt 191 and Rt 447. Park at the park, fish down stream.

GenCon

is that stocked or wild trouts ?

I'll be fishing the area this weekend. I'll let you know how I do. I live about 6 miles from Canadensis.

If you're up in that area, give Toms Creek a try. It's in Egypt Mills and goes right under Rt 209. Decent wild brown trout fishing.

Throw a rock in any direction, any water you hit will have trout in it.
Actually the State Game Lands that surrounds Mt. Pocono and Canadensis has a bunch of trout streams. So to does Promised Land SP and the big game lands just north of the park. Fishing up there is very good during the fall.

Sorry, my father had to have some kind of shots in his eyes for macular degeneration so we wont be fishing this weekend.

Give Wallenpaupack Creek a try, near South Sterling. It's loaded with wild brown trout, and likely has brook trout too - but I've never caught any. The wild browns are very worthwhile for fishing though, anyway. It's right near the sign for Canadensis. I believe on 507?

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I am looking forward to our trip.

Any reports? I'll be up there this weekend near Hawley. Couple good smallie lakes and might hit lackawaxen for trout.

I head up there next week mid-week. So no reports yet from me.

Water levels are low but normal for Sep. Max water temp is in mid-high 60's but will continue to fall over the weekend with cooler air temps. I had good luck with slate drakes late afternoon yesterday. Streamer fishing should pick up in next week or so when water temps start to fall more.

I'm back from my few days in the Poconos with moderate success fishing.

A big thank you to the folks at the Evening Hatch Fly Shop for providing me guidance on where to fish and what to use in the area.

They steered me clear of the Brodhead and McMichaels because the water levels are very low. The suggested the Lehigh which worked for me, I fished several access points.

They recommended 9.5ft leader with 6X tippet which I believed also helped. For flies I had success with emerges, there was no surface activity and not much hatch activity. Also I was fishing early morning.

All in all a beautiful area, great fly shop and good fishing... I would return.

Also no sign of Frien, but there were police and news crews all over the place.

Interesting that you brought up Frien, because I was thinking about this exact subject last night. I don't do much fishing in the Poconos, but I was contemplating what my response would be if I was in a remote area and would happen to stumble upon an individual like Frien, who was hiding out. Would I end up a casualty? Would I pass him by completely unnoticed and unaware that I might be at the end of a rifle scope?

Salmonoid, I was contemplating the same thing the other night while I was out "mousing".

Exact reason I stayed off the Pocono brookie streams last weekend.

Back