Planning a Weekend Trip to Laurel Hill State Park

nickcobler

nickcobler

Hello Anglers! I just registered for PAFlyFish and am stoked to be a part of Pennsylvania's rich fly fishing history. I live in Pittsburgh and am planning a weekend trip to Laurel Hill State Park with a buddy—who's fiancee has kicked him out of the house this weekend for 'girls night'. So we are booking a tent site and getting there Friday through Sunday evening. Wondering if anyone had a handle on what I should expect as far as stream conditions, potential hatch activity/recommendations, and overall places in the area to do some trout hunting. Thanks in advance for any advice you might be able to give us!

Hopefully the rains won't be much of a factor. Don't know enough to offer fly selection or hatch advice. I will say best of luck and have a fun weekend!!

Haven't been there yet this year, but during a *typical* year, you'd be looking at sporadic caddis (#14, tan) that'd take a few fish up top here and there, with more fish underneath to be taken on buggers, hares ears, and small streamers.

With the way other streams have been fishing this year for me, I'd be hesitant to commit to the dry game until I saw fish coming up consistently.

Thanks All. Yea, hoping the weather is okay, but hey, I don't mind getting a little wet. I'll just work on my nymphing/bugger game then! Looking forward to the Forum.

FYI -- Caddis and ... some parts of the stream see a decent hatch of March Browns this time of year. But looks like water flows will continue to remain high with more rain forecasted over the next couple of days. As mentioned already, you will need to stay under with buggers, stones and streamers.

Thanks! Yea, looks like subsurface will be the way to go. I'm just ready to be in the water. This sitting at my desk really blows.

LH should provide enough action- both the upper spec regs area and the lower spec regs are near Humbert as well. The yough is very nearby the Humbert section, so if action is slow you could always check out the yough or the Casselman for that matter. There are numerous tribs as well you could fish in the middle of the day if you wish to seek shade.

GL

Back