Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Pittsburgh area ?

From West Chester/Morgantown 304
Your probably 1 hr30 from the savage you could hit the upper casselman. There's a pull off right near the state line. Just walk up and start fishing. You do have to be worried about rock snot... But some great fishing is to be had.

Posted on: 2012/12/1 2:01

From lower burrell, pa
My lack of ability to catch a fish on a fly rod is only surpassed by my sucktitude with casting.
I need more time and practice, anyway. Went out on SRC yesterday up by the Eckert Bridge beneath the Mill. Was fishing deeper pools didnt see any fish or feel any bites. Thats fine was enjoying the solitude and trying not to get discouraged after loosing a bunch of flies. So about an hour into fishing a man with his 2 children came off one of the hiking trails about 30 feet upstream from me and began skipping and throwing rocks into the water. OK not really a big deal so I moved upstream about 50 yards away from them to find another spot. About 10 minutes into fishing that spot they showed up again about 30 feet upstream and began the same rock throwing thing. Seriously? Moved again and same thing happened WOW. Ruined my day so I went home

Posted on: 2012/12/2 10:17

From West Chester/Morgantown 304
Well the casselman is a larger river, and will be significantly easier to fish then the savage. You can practice your casting not worrying about your back cast. Which is a very nice thing if your getting into fly fishing. IMO larger water is better to learn on, not saying the fish are easier to cast. But you don't have to be as worried about your casting.

Posted on: 2012/12/2 13:00

From lower burrell, pa
thx

Posted on: 2012/12/2 13:08

From Ohio
If you have any chance at getting into any trout on SRC it would be in the FFO section(Armstrong bridge) which is stocked in the fall. With that said, you'd probably have better luck in the spring, and the open regs sections will be stocked also.

Posted on: 2012/12/2 14:22

From pgh
Just seeing this. Kudos on the determination to get your first fish on the fly during one of the more difficult times of year. I would guess that some of the posters missed that part of your post and maybe that is why they are mentioning some pretty tricky class A water. I might suggest instead looking at some bluegill ponds for now...you were close to some decent ones.

Posted on: 2012/12/6 23:28

From pgh
or go back to Buffalo Cr this weekend with some San Juan Worms and buggers. Looks like its gonna be warm and rainy.

Posted on: 2012/12/6 23:31

From lower burrell, pa
Ya gonna try and get out this weekend. Early Saturday will be spent in 2 seperate ice boxes. Son has a 7 am hockey game (which means 545 am departure) and after that my daughter has her figure skating show at 1130 at Valley Sports Complex. All the ticket proceeds going to Toys for Tots. Coffee IV please.
Not sure where I am going to fish yet, as posted may try FFo section of SRC or Buffallo as that is a closer trip.
Thx again, the lack of misinformation on these boards is a really good thing as Albotross told me up at steelhead jam

Posted on: 2012/12/7 7:31

My son recently became a resident at UPMC, so I expect to soon be spending some time in downtown Pittsburgh. Are there any fly fishing opportunities not too far (i.e. within 30 minutes) of downtown? Doesn't necessarily have to be trout, anything willing to give a fly a tug. Probably won't do any fishing this winter, but would like to start thinking about next spring/summer. Junior spends a fair amount of time at the hospital, so I often will have some free mornings or evenings to get out and fish.

Thanks, any advice would be appreciated.

Posted on: 2012/12/18 7:33

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Well, there's 3 large rivers in town. They all have a pretty good diversity of species, though bass is probably the fly rodder's #1 target. There's bass right in the city, but the farther up you can go on the Allegheny or Mon, the better.

For trout, a couple of stocked fisheries within that distance.

Posted on: 2012/12/19 8:05

Thanks! I had wondered about the three rivers, I'll have to give them a shot.

thanks again,

Posted on: 2012/12/19 19:35

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

From Johnstown, PA
The Yough and the streams in that area are pretty close and a good place to start.

Posted on: 2012/12/22 6:57

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com