Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Pine/Kettle creek magic?

From LV
GG that's still early in the season, as Bob says come on up.

Posted on: 2013/4/13 11:04

I think the fishing in the Pine & Kettle drainages, and NC freestoners generally, is terrific.

Not just for the scenery. But for the hatches and fishing catching too. There are endless stream miles with native brookies and wild browns.

Posted on: 2013/4/13 13:07

From Media, PA
The upper areas of Kettle and little Kettle provided me with some great brook trout fishing a couple years ago. Usually I don't bother with the fly stretch there as there are so many nice pieces of water with nobody on them if you walk a bit. Also, I caught the GD hatch there once on my birthday (Kettle, June 4) and despite fishing over stocked trout it remains one of my highlights. Bugs and fish rising everywhere, nice rainbows in the 13-18'' class, and no one else in sight. BTW, every fish I took was on a caddis and I don't feel guilty about it. I'm hoping to fish Upper Kettle again this season if possible; since I'm turning sixty my wife may not be able to say no.

Posted on: 2013/4/13 17:50

From NC PA Mountains
The biggest problem with fishing & living here in NC PA is that there might be TOO many streams to pick from! I remember several times getting in my car & trying to decide do I go north, south, east, or west to fish! Now I try to make up my mind the night before so I can get on the road.

Posted on: 2013/4/13 19:14

From E-Town and Germania
Brad, I have the same problem. We've had the cabin five years, and
I am still exploring. Sometimes I find myself over-thinking where I want to go. Do I want to go back to a stream that was good a previous year, or check out a new one? Some streams end up better than others, but it's all fun, and half the fun is finding out that your research has paid off.

Posted on: 2013/4/13 19:57

From florida
Jam first the NC. Jim is scouting for a cabin to stay at. GG

Posted on: 2013/4/16 9:41

From Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
Great thread. I enjoyed the different perspectives. My family has a cabin in NC PA and I really enjoy meeting my brothers and cousins at least once a year and fishing the different streams. It is such a pretty area and can only be matched by places out west, IMO. I have some great fly fishing here in Michigan but would rather travel back to PA.

There are several posts criticizing stockies Is there ever a time when a stocked fish looses it's this tag. At what point do they adapt to their environment and become wild? Or does it just get reclassified as a "holdover." When you have a fish on the end of the line and cannot see it can you tell if it is a stocked, "holdover", or wild fish? Not to hijack the thread but I'm interested in hearing other peoples view on this thought.

Don

Posted on: 2013/4/18 21:01

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

dsmith1427 wrote:
Great thread. I enjoyed the different perspectives. My family has a cabin in NC PA and I really enjoy meeting my brothers and cousins at least once a year and fishing the different streams. It is such a pretty area and can only be matched by places out west, IMO. I have some great fly fishing here in Michigan but would rather travel back to PA.

There are several posts criticizing stockies Is there ever a time when a stocked fish looses it's this tag. At what point do they adapt to their environment and become wild? Or does it just get reclassified as a "holdover." When you have a fish on the end of the line and cannot see it can you tell if it is a stocked, "holdover", or wild fish? Not to hijack the thread but I'm interested in hearing other peoples view on this thought.

Don

Stockies become holdovers after they spend some time in the stream.
They do become a bit more colored up than when they left the hatchery. But you can still tell that they're not wild fish by their appearance.

I have nothing against stocked fish. There are times and places where I still fish for them. But I still prefer to go for wild ones when i can.
As for the original gist of this thread -
It takes me 2.5 hours to get to the little juniata river, where I can catch nice size wild trout.
Or travel almost twice that far to go to pine creek, where I'll catch mostly stockers. A no-brainer IMO

Posted on: 2013/4/18 23:53

I think a fish has to be in the stream a full year to call it a holdover.

Posted on: 2013/4/19 15:21

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
I know a few that have been in pine for more than a year....all nice over 20"

Posted on: 2013/4/20 6:48

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com