Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Pine Creek at Cedar Run

From Pittsburgh, PA
I'm curious how one would cast that jig head on a fly rod... seems like the weight might be too much and that you'd just end up snagging rocks.

I have a friend that tried fishing small senko's on a fly rod this summer too. Much the same effect... very poor casting because of the weight.

Posted on: 1/23 15:27

From Ephrata, PA
The guy in the video w/ the jighead was Sandfly. He knows that stream very well. His shop is in Ansonia and could be of some help to you!

Posted on: 1/23 17:44

From Tyrone
I agree 100% with Sasquach, Sandfly has been very helpful when I have been up that way.

Posted on: 1/23 17:53

From Pittsburgh, PA
I'm sure... and I'll definitely stop by if he's open. His web site seems to indicate odd hours Mondays - Thursdays though.

I plan to arrive on Sunday afternoon and leave on the following Saturday. Hopefully the crowds won't be so bad mid-week.

I've only been fly fishing now for a little more than a year, so I'm still happy with catching stockies. Last spring I spent a lot of time fishing Nashannock creek in Lawrence Co. There's a really nice DH section of the stream between the mill dam and the covered bridge.

That said, I'm really looking forward to branching out and trying new waters. I had my eye on Pine last year, but due to several factors, was unable to go. This is the year though!

Posted on: 1/23 19:19

From Frederick, MD & New Philly, OH
I was fishing Cedar the day the tornado came up Pine creek. It was on of my best outings that I had on the stream. I ended up being stranded at the Cedar Run Inn. Do yourself a favor and have dinner there one evening. It was fantastic!

Posted on: 1/23 19:24

From LV
I forgot tomention, Pettecoat Junction Campgroud has excellent facilities and it right on the creek. And the mornings and evenings are especially great because of the wildlife.

Posted on: 1/23 20:51

From Pittsburgh, PA
I bought a Delorme atlas a few weeks ago and must say I'm quite unimpressed. The scale and labeling is horrendous! Where can I get a better map of the area around Cedar Run/Slate Run? USGS maps were always a favorite of mine, but I'm unsure where to get some.

Posted on: 3/30 21:18

Slate Run Fly Shop has good, detailed maps of that area and they are reasonably priced.

Posted on: 3/30 21:37

From Pittsburgh, PA
Nice! I'll hold off till I'm there then. Thanks!

Posted on: 3/31 0:21

From Wellsboro, PA
It's also possible in your area to find a store like Yoas Services in Williamsport. They primarily operate as a copy/scan/print for large volume and large size paper materials but they also have a fantastic USGS map service and the cost to have a map made of the area or blown up and laminated of a specific locale is relatively inexpensive and beats carrying around a huge map that could get wet and ruined.

Posted on: 3/31 7:04

Nights and weekends spent in Wellsboro and daylight hours spent in Williamsport.

From NC PA Mountains
You can't beat the FREE State Forest maps the state puts out.
You can get hard copies at most general stores in the area or go to these links.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/cs/groups ... nts/document/D_000881.pdf

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/cs/groups ... nts/document/D_000877.pdf

Posted on: 3/31 8:53

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
I carry DCNR maps here free too.

Posted on: 3/31 12:18

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

You can download U.S. Geo. Survey topo maps for free at libremap.org. When you get to the website click on "data" then the state, then "TIFF." You can save the map on your computer or save it onto a flash drive and take it to a print shop where they can print you a full size topo map for a couple bucks.

Another alternative is mapper.acme.com.

cheers!

Posted on: 3/31 13:00

The state forest maps are free and very useful, as Brad said.

You can simply Google the phone number for the state forest(s) you are interested in, call them, and they will send you the map.

The Tiadaghton State Forest office had maps for several other state forests in NC PA, so you could ask them if they could send you those also.

In addition to the regular state forest maps, which they call "public use maps," they also have some good trail maps, which are larger scale maps than the regular state forest maps.

Posted on: 3/31 14:22

From LV
If you can get an older version they are better from an anglers perspective. I think the changes they made in the latest version were more for travels the the hunting and angling communities.

Posted on: 4/1 8:30

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com