Pine Creek Delayed Harvest extension

SlingerFlyRods

SlingerFlyRods

Heard a rumor from a source who's cabin is across from naval run tell me yesterday that they are pushing to extend the catch and release section all the way down to walnut bottom due to whats starting to get crowded apparently.

with what he said (if at all true) its because of that section getting crowded during the spring and summer months.

Anyone else hear about this? am I late to this party or is it simply untrue?

thoughts on it if true?

Chris

I would ask Tom at Slate Run, if anybody would know anything about this rumor it would be him. I'll send him an email.

Not as far as I know.. to many others use the area as well. PFBC has stated before there will be no additions because of public out cry against them.

Not sure if this is what the rumor is founded in or not:

Discussed on this site here.

Minutes from the April 2013 meeting.

Blackwell to Waterville now open year round..

Not a rumor at this point, effective January 1, 2014.

My guess is Sandfly and Salmonoid are correct. The special reg section(s) of Pine are fairly new additions and were met with considerable opposition from landowners and traditional anglers when originally proposed. I doubt the PFBC wishes to re-ignite that battle.

The new move to year round fishing was a better (and smarter) move IMO.

from what I heard there was just a meeting on this

Both of the DH areas on Pine Creek are heavily used. So I'd believe it if it was decided to lengthen the lower section, but they just changed the water from Blackwell to Waterville excluding the DH section to open all year. The DH section is by definition open all year. So effectively we now have roughly 25 miles of Pine Creek Open All Year. They aren't going to stock any more fish, but I think they should.

The only "benefit" to extending the DH area would be to extend the number of stream miles where fish would be protected from being creeled for a longer period of time. I don't see them adding that type of restriction on Pine, especially after they just opened the miles of stream up to fishing year-round, with no-kill in effect from March 1 to Opening Day. Here - you can fish here year round and keep fish most of the year - whoops, we're restricting that on another couple of miles to just June 15 to Labor Day.

It would not make any sense to me at all.

salmonoid wrote:
The only "benefit" to extending the DH area would be to extend the number of stream miles where fish would be protected from being creeled for a longer period of time.

Well a couple of posts in this thread have mentioned "heavy usage" and "crowding" in the regs area. Do you think that doubling the size of the regs area might spread that out a bit? I don't see how allowing fishing in March and April is going to help the crowding of May.

salmonoid wrote:
I don't see them adding that type of restriction on Pine, especially after they just opened the miles of stream up to fishing year-round, with no-kill in effect from March 1 to Opening Day.

Nor do I. Its a shame, they should have done both.

Here is Tom Finkbiner's reply to my email.

"We hope to have the official letter requesting the extension this coming week. It would add an additional 1.6 miles to the existing area. I will have an E-Mail newsletter out next week requesting that any persons supporting the move write letters of support and send them to the shop."

So it is a request, doesn't mean it will actually happen.

well I at least heard about it somewhat correctly then.. Thanks for following up with Tom

Define crowded. My understanding is that some thought that one angler for each 50 yds of the DH area represented crowding on the busiest days. On a stream that is the size of Pine Ck, that concentration of fishermen is hardly my definition of crowding.

Mike wrote:
Define crowded. My understanding is that some thought that one angler for each 50 yds of the DH area represented crowding on the busiest days. On a stream that is the size of Pine Ck, that concentration of fishermen is hardly my definition of crowding.

My experience is extremely limited, hopefully someone who frequents the project will give a better answer.

A couple of years ago I saw about a dozen anglers between the mouth of Slate Run and the Slate Run bridge. That far exceeded my definition of crowding.

Every member of every crowd contributes to crowding. Thus anyone who complains need only look in the mirror and then reduce crowding by going elsewhere. Who will be first?

JackM wrote:
Every member of every crowd contributes to crowding. Thus anyone who complains need only look in the mirror and then reduce crowding by going elsewhere. Who will be first?

I doubt that I am the first, but the reason "my experience is extremely limited" on this project is that I always "go somewhere else". The crowding I witnessed was from the Slate Run Bridge as I was crossing it on my way to some place much less crowded.

I think extending the DH area is a good idea. I recommend making it from the dam at Galeton downstream to Waterville.

yeah that will work, the baiters would scream. they are going to go nuts as it is.

BradFromPotter wrote:
troutbert wrote:
I think extending the DH area is a good idea. I recommend making it from the dam at Galeton downstream to Waterville.

Why?

Because when you go fishing, lots of fish > fewer fish.

Back