Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Penns vs Little J

From Ohio
I love both streams and I have had stellar days and crappy days on both. Both have great fish populations. The hatch diversity seems better on Penns, but the fish on the Little J seem to look up more. Rather than pic one over the other, I make it point to visit both.

That said, if you made me choose, I'd choose Penns because the beautiful valley it flow through.

Posted on: 1/28 20:27

From Spring Grove PA
I would pick Penns for many of the same reasons listed by the others. I think that I have caught more fish on the Little-J per unit time spent fishing but I like the ability to get away from the crowds on Penns

Plus, I have a camp not too far from Penns and Fishing Creek is close by....

Enjoy them both.

As an aside. I have caught a trout on my first cast of the day a number of times in the 100's that I have fished. Once, last year, me and 2 other guys were fishing a stretch of the Little-J and each of us caught a trout on our very first cast of the day. I have never ever seen that before!

Posted on: 1/30 13:22

OMG Maurice. I have spent a lot of time on all of these streams, and yours is probably the best description of the three that I have ever seen. Well done!

Posted on: 1/31 20:05

Penns has a lot more different kinds of bugs and better hatches overall. I never had the chance to fish the LJR before the spill killed most of the bugs. Of course, the fish do seem to rise more consistently on the LJR.

On average my experience has also been that the fish in penns are a bit bigger. I think this factors into the catch rate.

Posted on: 2/1 6:30

So much love for Penns.

Is anyone involved with conservation efforts on Penns Creek?

If so, what are some efforts and projects ongoing? What’s the main concerns? Farming, sediment, postings??

Posted on: 2/1 7:21

From Other side of the tracks
LJ

No Rebuttal!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I actually never fished the LJ, but have been poked in the eye at Penns more than once. For me, that is part of the fun in fishing there. It's a learning experience. If I was only worried about catching lots of fish, I can do that at home.

In other words, my opinion doesn't count.

Posted on: 2/1 8:32

From Monessen, PA
You can do well by nymphing the pockets you find on Penns, but that isn't as much fun as drifting the glides. But when fish are rising on Penns to duns or spinners, it can be glorious. It is much more of the perfect dry fly stream than the Little J, but you will catch more on dries on the Little J. Except sometimes....

Posted on: 2/1 22:11

From ligonier, pa
Little J has always been more consistent for me as far as hooking goes, but Penns has more mystique for sure. It's just so beautiful and remote. And the drive to Penns both ways removes 2 hours of stream time compared to the J.

Posted on: 2/4 10:45

Penns has a lot more stream mileage flowing through public lands (state forest & PFBC lands) than the Little J.

I think that has a lot to do with with peoples" experiences and perceptions of the streams.

Posted on: 2/4 11:49

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Should curling be an Olympic sport?
Yes 84% (43)
No 15% (8)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2018/2/19 12:33
5 Comments

Copyright 2018 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com