Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Penns creek-Weikert Road access

From Central PA
All will be good in the end. If you fish below the old c and r into the new regulated water be respectful of landowners. Don’t park on lawns or in non designated spots. Cherry run road is fine to travel. Take your time and enjoy the drive. It’s a dcnr dirt road not some epic adventure into the Himalaya. It’s not dangerous and there is very rarely log trucks as mentioned in some post. It’s state ground that hasn’t been timbered in decades. Penns Creek angler post is over the top. Enjoy the hatch season and be cool!

Posted on: 4/20 11:50

From picture rocks pa 17762
Cherry run road is fine, workers are parking on it for the bridge work, also big equipment is working there. Why not just try to be helpful and wait till project is complete. Everyone is trying to do the best. I did not state this before, project supervisors and workers are not very happy with penns creek angler shop. Penns creek angler has ruffled some feathers. Let us as fishermen show some respect. Why stir up a hornet's nest. Things are pretty stirred up on Penn's now. In the next few years, depending on fishermen, it will be better or less will be available.

Maxima12

Posted on: 4/20 16:44

From SE PA
Quote:

Paraleptalata wrote:
All will be good in the end. If you fish below the old c and r into the new regulated water be respectful of landowners. Don’t park on lawns or in non designated spots. Cherry run road is fine to travel. Take your time and enjoy the drive. It’s a dcnr dirt road not some epic adventure into the Himalaya. It’s not dangerous and there is very rarely log trucks as mentioned in some post. It’s state ground that hasn’t been timbered in decades. Penns Creek angler post is over the top. Enjoy the hatch season and be cool!

Only road there that's really a problem is Paddy Mountain Road. Shouldn't be on that one anyway to get to Penns. Bear Run Road is a good one to get into Penns from the east off 45.

Usually when there is logging on SF land the state grades the roads and clears the culverts.

BTW I used to fish Penns back there at least a dozen times a year in January and February. My favorite spots is off Mingle Road. Somewhere back along Cherry Run Road is a nice Orvis rod with a Ross real that I forgot to take off the roof of the truck. If you find it it's yours. I consoled my loss by heading up to FlyFisher's Paradise and picking up a new Sage rod.

Posted on: 5/21 11:57

From Near Penns
Fished the C & R area today and entered by Bear Run road off route 45. The bridge crew stopped me and told me the road will be TOTALLY closed on Friday 6/14 for paving. Save yourself some frustration and access Penns elsewhere or fish another stream on Friday!

Posted on: 6/10 19:05

Quote:

afishinado wrote:
Here are pics and a report from Bruce at Penns Creek angler from FB about the closure of Wiekert Road for construction of a new bridge over Cherry run. Pretty rough! >

Wow, a bit dramatic and whiny I'd say.

Posted on: 6/11 6:23

Edited by Maurice on 2019/6/12 21:46:48

From Near Penns
Yes, a bit exaggerated on the Bear Run and Cherry Run Road conditions. Those roads are in very good shape for your standard gravel State forest roads. The paving project on Friday is supposed to have Cherry Run road and weikert road closed, according to the supervisor on the bridge job.

Posted on: 6/12 18:01

From SE PA
Quote:

Trico3 wrote:
Yes, a bit exaggerated on the Bear Run and Cherry Run Road conditions. Those roads are in very good shape for your standard gravel State forest roads. The paving project on Friday is supposed to have Cherry Run road and weikert road closed, according to the supervisor on the bridge job.

I assume Cherry Run Road is only closed to just above the bridge? I'll be up there Saturday. Need to check the cabin. I may get a chance to fish. Not sure which side I'll go in on.

Posted on: 6/13 6:35

From Chester County
Quote:

franklin wrote:
Quote:

Trico3 wrote:

I assume Cherry Run Road is only closed to just above the bridge? I'll be up there Saturday. Need to check the cabin. I may get a chance to fish. Not sure which side I'll go in on.

Cherry Run Road is open completely. Weikert Road is closed just before it meets Cherry run Road because of bridge work.

Posted on: 6/13 8:41

From SE PA
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
Quote:

franklin wrote:
Quote:

Trico3 wrote:

Cherry Run Road is open completely. Weikert Road is closed just before it meets Cherry run Road because of bridge work.

My understanding is that at least tomorrow they are paving beyond the bridge on Weikert and possibly up to the bridge on Cherry Run.

Posted on: 6/13 12:50

From Chester County
Quote:

ColdBore wrote:
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
Here are pics and a report from Bruce at Penns Creek angler from FB about the closure of Wiekert Road for construction of a new bridge over Cherry run. Pretty rough! >

Wow, a bit dramatic and whiny I'd say.

Hey ColdBore, I posted a link to Penns Creek Anglers's Facebook page about the situation road closure a few miles down the road from PCA to give everyone on the site a heads-up.

Here is what I wrote in my next post down in post #13 >

afishinado wrote:
I am not an engineer and cannot assess whether the method used to divert the stream and build a new bridge is SOP or in some way not the proper way to proceed. I'll defer to others with more knowledge of engineering procedures to make that determination. If it is improper and unduly harmful it should be reported to the proper authorities. If not, than we should just bide our time and wait to gain access through Weikert Road.

Why didn't you quote this instead of accusing me of whining?

I volunteered to be a moderator on here to post info to help folks out and make the site more interesting and worth visiting. I will continue to post info that I believe is useful or even entertaining to members, whether anyone agrees or disagrees with it's content.

Posted on: 6/13 13:18

Edited by afishinado on 2019/6/13 13:33:24

From E-Town and Germania
Afish, I believe Coldbore was refering to Bruce Fisher's doom and gloom Facebook post, not you.

Posted on: 6/13 14:32

From Dallastown, PA
Ha! My bad, I deleted the quote by coldbore because it blew the Margins up. So it appeared coldbore was referring to Afish himself rather than the link he provided in afishs post.

Sorry bout that.

Posted on: 6/13 19:28

From Chester County
Quote:

Maurice wrote:
Ha! My bad, I deleted the quote by coldbore because it blew the Margins up. So it appeared coldbore was referring to Afish himself rather than the link he provided in afishs post.

Sorry bout that.

^

Sorry coldbore, operators error.

Posted on: 6/14 7:14

Quote:

afishinado wrote:
Quote:

Maurice wrote:

Sorry bout that.

^

Sorry coldbore, operators error.

No worries.

I didn't notice that anything got changed in my quoting, but yes, I was referring to Bruce's rant, not your post!

Sorry if any misunderstandings!

Posted on: 6/15 7:45

From Chester County
Yeah, no harm, no foul.

I agree that Bruce from PCA may have been a little over the top with his Facebook post, but he's a decent guy. The detour took most anglers around his shop to get to the Cherry Run area.

Penns has been high, off-color and unfishable for many months, but the stream has finally settled down in the last few weeks.

Anyway, Bruce from PCA has suffered a loss of business through no fault of his own. I encourage anyone fishing Penns or driving in the area to stop in at the shop to see Bruce, and maybe buy something there that you may need for fishing.

Posted on: 6/15 8:37

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook
USGS Water Levels <Click Map>

Copyright 2019 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com