Penns Creek Centre County

huntfish

huntfish

I've searched on google and google maps of areas to access Penns Creek, but the stream seems to be so long and I don't really know where to start. Can anyone suggest a good area to park and get started to explore the stream myself? Popular areas and stuff like that. Thanks!

I'd start at the Cherry Run access point and work my way upstream. Bring Drakes, be ready for a crowd and a late night, and L O W water.

Drive to Poe Paddy. Park vehicle. Walk to stream. Fish.

Note, below Cherry Run and upstream of Coburn do have wild fish, albeit it's not as good, and mixed with stockies.

But the famous stretch is from Coburn to Cherry Run.

Major Access points:

Cherry Run. Fish around there or walk up.

Poe Paddy, at the end of Tunnel Spur Rd. Can walk up, down, or through the tunnel and down (tunnel cuts off about a mile and a half of water, but note, it's under construction right now). You can also access it at the PP campground, or Havice Valley Rd follows it for a short distance.

Tunnel Road that south out of Coburn. Park along and fish, or go to end and walk down (note, there's some recently posted ground along here, I don't know details).

That's it. There's a minor access point at Ingleby (between Poe Paddy and Coburn), but it's hard to get to and frankly, that water is easily accessible from Poe Paddy or Tunnel Road.

If you opt to go to Ingleby, be sure to have a little bit of ground clearance and watch the last turn into the parking area. There are a few rocks that stick up that I've watched people bottom out on.

Agreed on the late night comment. Most of it is a long drive back dirt roads, plus a long walk-in, and at this time of year so much happens right at dark. Take a reliable flashlight, expect not to get back to civilization till 10:30 or 11 p.m., and have fun with it. That's half the fun of Penns....

Also, if you're used to places like Spring Creek and one fishermen per pool, well, realize that a "pool" in that section of Penns can push a mile long, and the riffles can be just as long. In terms of width, it's big, but not huge water. But the whole scale of the riffle to pool thing requires a true mental adjustment.

At Green Drake time, it's TRULY crowded, by any standard. At any other times, if you get away from access points it's not all that crowded in terms of fishermen per length of water, you'll have plenty of elbow room. But in terms of fishermen per pool, well, aside from mid-winter it's hard to expect a 3/4 mile long pool to yourself.

My understanding is that tunnel is closed for repair.

Sweet thanks for all the input and suggestions. Going to try and make it out there sometime within the next week or so. Assuming the creek isn't dried up by then :lol:

pcray1231 wrote:
Note, below Cherry Run and upstream of Coburn do have wild fish, albeit it's not as good, and mixed with stockies.

But the famous stretch is from Coburn to Cherry Run.

Is the water warmer above Coburn? I'd think it would get cooler as you get closer to the cave. What bounds the upper end of the best water at Coburn?

Yes, the water is warmer above Coburn; too much deforestation. Elk Creek and (maybe Pine) deliver a large influx of cold water at Coburn. There are also cold water tributaries along the whole stretch between Coburn and Cherry Run. Water temperatures would be even better if Poe Creek was not dammed to make Poe Valley lake.

Some Basic Information on Penn's

The stocked trout above Coburn acclimate quickly to the natural environment and begin feeding on the natural forage very quickly. The mill damn just a mile or so above Coburn probably also contributes to higher temps, along with the mentioned deforestation and lack of cold-water tribs. Elk and Pine probably contribute approximately 30% of the water volume of Penns for the next 2 or so miles, and they are fairly-well forested or supplied from underground sources to rehabilitate the stream for a decent stretch.

Personally, I fish between Coburn to Cherry Run when I fish Penns. Excepting a fairly short period in late Summer this area is hospitable to year-long resident wild trout.

Not only is it warmer above the mouth of Elk/Pine, but the structure is worse too, and thus the bug life, plus stockies, standard trout regs, and associated fishermen carrying stringers.

Goes through a canyon in that great middle stretch.

Elk dumps in right at Coburn. That's a nice dose of cold water.

Lots of lawnchair beasts with jangley stringers above Coburn. Can be some nice fishing up there though.

Back