HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

PFBC Adds 6 Waters to Keystone Program
Webmaster
From the PFBC press release:

PFBC Adds Six Waters to Popular Keystone Select Stocked Trout Program

HARRISBURG, Pa. (Jan. 24) – Anglers will have additional opportunities to catch 14”-20” trophy trout this season after the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission (PFBC) announced today at its quarterly business meeting that it is adding six new waters to the popular Keystone Select Stocked Trout Program.

The six new waters include:
Berks County, Tulpehocken Creek, Section 7 (1.84 miles)
Cambria County, Chest Creek, Section 3 (1.80 miles)
Fulton County, Big Cove Creek, Section 3 (0.93 miles)
Luzerne County, Harveys Creek, Section 4 (1.70 miles)
McKean County, Kinzua Creek, Section 4 (2.29 miles)
Venango County, Oil Creek, Section 7 (1.55 miles)

The original eight waters include:
Chester County, Middle Branch White Clay Creek, Section 3 (1.67 miles)
Dauphin County, Wiconisco Creek, Section 3 (0.74 miles)
Lackawanna/Wyoming Counties, South Branch Tunkhannock Creek, Section 4 (0.99 miles)
Lawrence County, Neshannock Creek, Section 3 (2.67 miles)
Lycoming County, Loyalsock Creek, Section 5 (1.49 miles)
Potter County, First Fork Sinnemahoning Creek, Section 4 (1.67 miles)

Somerset County, Laurel Hill Creek, Section 3 (2.33 miles)
Westmoreland County, Loyalhanna Creek, Section 3 (1.67 miles)
Under the program, approximately 4,500 large trout will be distributed among the 14 waters. The trout will be stocked at a rate of 175 to 225 per mile, which is comparable to the numbers of similarly sized fish in Pennsylvania’s best wild trout waters.

The waters are regulated under Delayed Harvest Artificial Lures Only (DHALO) regulations, which provides the opportunity to catch these fish multiple times. Under DHALO regulations, waters are open to fishing year-round, but anglers can harvest trout only between June 15 and Labor Day and the trout have to be a minimum of nine inches. For the rest of the year, these waters are managed on a catch-and-release-only basis and the creel limit is zero. Tackle is limited to artificial lures and flies.

Posted on: 1/24 17:20

Re: PFBC Adds 6 Waters to Keystone Program

From Pennsylvania
Could be a disaster for the Tulpehocken.

Posted on: 1/24 18:12

From Gettysburg
I think the Tully makes perfect sense for this program and I had favored it when waters for this program were first being discussed.

Larger, special reg waters (which are usually already fished hard anyway) are better candidates for this program in my opinion.

Posted on: 1/24 18:17

From Pennsylvania
A destination to catch very big trout....What a wonderful idea ....EXCEPT....The big fish craze will draw tons of spin fishermen using treble hooks etc. Also will see additional pressure during warmwater period as same types want a "trophy" once the harvest period begins. For us flyfishers there's something wrongheaded about a program that features big stocked trout as it's main selling point rather than a quality catch and release experience. Going to bet the quality flyfishing experience will be vastly degraded by this decision.Just a hunch.

Posted on: 1/24 18:53

From Erie Co.
Have to agree.
But the two, I already fish are on public land.
If I want big fish I fish the Lake Erie Tribs or the Great Lake Erie where the fish "grow" to trophy size. Time for me to find new destination streams.

Posted on: 1/24 18:59

From Southwestern PA
Im all for this program as long as they are not stocking these pigs over wild fish. Im not sure about the other side of the state, but the streams in western PA in this program are put and take streams. If this program builds interests and brings new anglers to our sport, Im all for it. More license sells = more revenue. I would like to hope the extra revenue gets sunk back into stream improvement programs.

Posted on: 1/24 19:01

Back the Brookie

http://bluelinesandbrookies.blogspot.com/

From Erie Co.
But, 19 miles of big trout waters.
That should space out the fishermen.
Almost on par with waters under eisaments on the Lake Erie Tribs,

Posted on: 1/24 19:04

I can't say that I am in favor of the Tully added to the list. The worst poaching area is now at the very upper end of the DH area. I did my due diligence last year by reporting it to the area law enforcement manager. He reminded me that there isn't enough personnel to patrol every stream, and few people want to be deputies anymore.

CRB: it's 1.9 miles not 19 miles, representing part of the 3.8 mile DH area. If you were referring to the Tully.

Posted on: 1/24 19:12

I think it's a good thing especially for the Tully. Tully fisherman get a bad rap. They are either killing fish in 80 degree water with 8x mono or killing trout with treble hooks and bait. Personally i'd take the treble and bait guys over the 8x guys. I think the fear of bait and treble guys is way overblown.

Posted on: 1/24 19:17

From Pennsylvania
Exactly how is it a "good thing"?

Posted on: 1/24 19:21

From Erie Co.
19 miles total in this special regulation waters regulations.
I would like to see the Kinzua Dam become bottom release. Now that would be a truly great thing.

Posted on: 1/24 19:44

It will allow beginners, children, and other people interested in trout fishing an opportunity to catch large fish without much impact to wild populations. Everyone has to start somewhere. For someone like myself who fishes for wild trout 95 percent.of the time or more it will have 0 impact.

Posted on: 1/24 19:57

From SEPA
Isn't the Tully a DHALO not a FFO? I don't know why lure guys get a bad rap. Fish don't get gut hooked on trebles. In fact, you are lucky to get them hooked with 1/3 of one hook. Wild fish? Try setting the hook with a spinner on a wild fish before it is gone. Fishing with plastic, wood and metal lures is not bait fishing, plain and simple. I have seen plenty of fly fishermen over-handling fish on the Tully over the years, same with Ridley FFO, even Valley. If you have never fished with anything but a fly rod, how can you assume a guy with a spinning rod is out to kill trout with trebles?? Makes no sense and doesn't give the fish enough credit either. Did you never take a gnat or trico out of a fish's gullet? Please....

Posted on: 1/24 20:04

In all the decades I fished the Tully DH (and my friends), I never witnessed high mortality due to spin fisherman. I don't think it should be generalized they cause a problem. I do have a problem with catch and release areas that allow bait fishing.

Posted on: 1/24 21:32

From Burke VA
Quote:

foxtrapper1972 wrote:
Could be a disaster for the Tulpehocken.

I have to plead ignorance on this one as I have never seen or fished any of these streams. But I do have a question, If they are all delayed harvest and the fish don't holdover what's wrong with putting larger stockers in?

Posted on: 1/24 22:32

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Which Opening Day Region are you from and will you fish Opening Day?
I live in the South East Regional area 27% (67)
I live in the Northeast Regional area 9% (23)
I will fish Opening Day in the NE Region 4/15 8% (22)
I will fish Opening Day in the SE Region 4/1 8% (22)
I will fish both the NE and SE Regional Opening Days 8% (22)
I will not fish either Opening Day 36% (89)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2017/4/15 8:55
6 Comments

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com