Outer Banks help

YoughnessMonster

YoughnessMonster

Hey guys,

Family his heading to OBX this coming weekend and I was kicking around the idea of taking my 9wt rod with me for some fishing. I've never fished saltwater and any advice would be appreciated. Leader suggestions fly patterns and perhaps a general area where to wet a line would be great.

deceivers, clousers, a few crab and shrimp flies. a few poppers most fish willbe local blues, fluke, reds, sea trout. back bay will be good. (take a yak or something to get around) you can wade the back waters just do the flats shuffle so there is no chance of a ray. leaders can be a piece of straight 20,30 or 40lb or a combo of them.3' of each will do. make it shorter for poppers. on the beach same flies might want to use a sink tip or sinking line to get near bottom. don't forget a shooting basket a must have !

I'll second that advice and add not to over look those parallel to the beach sloughs and troughs that a lot of those beaches have. I have also had a lot of luck in a kayak just past the breakers. I have one but that aren't that much to rent for a day or so. You can strip and drift clousers all day from there. Had the most luck with olive over white and olive over orange. I would think blue or red over white would be good too. Bouncing them off the bottom in the surf can produce flounder but line control can be a pain.

this is a great site: http://outerbanksflyfishing.com/forum/

Wade out to the Propeller SLough at Oregon Inlet... just park at the end of the lot near the big propeller... wade out to the south away from the boat docks

Black over orange clousers with gold or copper flash are a local favorite.

I fish the slough in Avon second turnoff heading out of Avon. I find that the morning and evening are the best time to fish that far up. During the day I head down to Hatters inlet and fish. I never liked fishing up at Oregon inlet (too many people). I only fish a straight mono leader 4-5 ft in lenght (you are not going to scare those fish) to long of a leader will leave a belly in the line and will not stay down. I only fish a full sinking line. Also stripping basket and tuck that rod under your arm and strip at different speeds until you find out what works. If that is not working I usually go for a drive and watch for birds Ocean side. You burn some gas but it can be fun when you find the fish feed close to the surf.

Joe E

JoeE wrote:
I fish the slough in Avon second turnoff heading out of Avon. I find that the morning and evening are the best time to fish that far up. During the day I head down to Hatters inlet and fish. I never liked fishing up at Oregon inlet (too many people). I only fish a straight mono leader 4-5 ft in lenght (you are not going to scare those fish) to long of a leader will leave a belly in the line and will not stay down. I only fish a full sinking line. Also stripping basket and tuck that rod under your arm and strip at different speeds until you find out what works. If that is not working I usually go for a drive and watch for birds Ocean side. You burn some gas but it can be fun when you find the fish feed close to the surf.

Joe E

Joe,

Do you use a cane rod for that?

bridge or dock lights in a moving tide.
don't be afraid to soak bait.

Just fish surf, clousers and shrimp flies work best of me. I've done very well with by noodle rod and medium spinning gear. PU pack of Gulp Blood Worms, and double up swivels and hooks with small amount of weight (use jug style, not pyramid) and let offering move with current. Slammed bunker and drum and few sea trout during my trip. Missed strippers by few weeks. Best time was early AM.

Missed strippers by few weeks.

When I used to fish outer banks back in the fifties everybody went to the bars in their bare feet. True-most of the drinking was outside,rough place.
just kidding.

Back