Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Olympic Peninsula Steelhead ?

From Da 'Berg, PA
Hi,

I'm planning a 6 day trip out there next late march - for wild steelhead, likely to the Sol Duc and Hoh, and maybe the Queets.

Has anyone fished out there, have any recommendations for guides, sections of river, small streams, eats, flies etc ?

I think i'm going to do 2 days guided walk n wade, one on each river and then DIY it for three days. i might also fish the beaches one day for sea run cutthroats. Guide rates seem $3-400 for WnW....

flights are currently $440 direct from Philly to Seattle then its a two hour drive to Port Angeles or Forks.

i've been advised that chances of wild steelhead are much higher in the OP than southern BC or the Vedder etc (the Skagit closes Jan 31..) thats why i'm looking into the OP.

If anyone is interested in sharing a 4x4 and guides, i'm planning for 03/29 to 04/04.

weather should be mild (50's) and rainy, if the lower steelhead stretches are blown out for a few days, i'll fish the upper stretches for wild bows, the rainforest spate streams for steel, and the beach for sea run cutts.

Cheers

Mark.

Posted on: 7/24 13:30

Re: Olympic Peninsula Steelhead ?

From York
Very tempting on your offer. I was out there three years ago in August and fished the Sol Duc above the hot spring baths. It was sort of an impromptu stop so I only fished for about 30 mins. (Nice cutthroat) Beautiful water and area. From what I've read (after the fact) they're great steelhead rivers.

Posted on: 7/24 14:15

Re: Olympic Peninsula Steelhead ?

From Attitudinally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
>>if the lower steelhead stretches are blown out for a few days, i'll fish the upper stretches for wild bows, the rainforest spate streams for steel, and the beach for sea run cutts.>>

Unless things have changed significantly in the last 6-8 years, there is very little fishing for resident RT in Olympic Park rivers other than the Elwha, even when you hike clear the h*** up into the park interior. The rivers are so loaded with (mostly) stocked steelhead and salmon fingerings/smolts that RT populations are pretty much overwhelmed/nonexistent. Before we went out in 2006 or 2007 (I forget which it was..), I wrote to the Washington state fisheries people about these sorts of opportunities and they told me that resident trout opportunities (again, other than in the Elwha..) were all but negligible. I didn't believe them and probably fished 6-8 miles of the Quinault well up into the interior and a shorter section of the Queets, still way up in there. They were telling the truth. I caught hundreds of steelhead and salmon smolts up to 8-9" (most were closer to 6"), but I did not catch a single resident wild RT, to my knowledge. It was crazy making because this was some of the most beautiful, fishy looking water I've ever been on.

At least this is the way it was then. Perhaps everything has changed since. Point is, I wouldn't count on any real RT fishing to speak of, regardless of how far up in you go...

Unless you're on the Elwha, of course.

Posted on: 7/31 15:10

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com