No Little Sandy Fall stocking

streamerguy

streamerguy

I just noticed they're not stocking the FFO sec on Little Sandy this fall. I am definitely not complaining. Hopefully this will help the brown spawn since there won't be any stockies in the creek? I did have a lot of luck with the stocked fish last fall(and spring), but I would much rather them not stock it in hopes of possibly helping out the wild fish in that stretch.

Not surprising as many waters previously stocked in the fall are being dropped from the list. I believe, if I recollect correctly, that the PFBC is planning to phase out the entire fall stocking schedule after 2013.

Fishidiot wrote:

Not surprising as many waters previously stocked in the fall are being dropped from the list. I believe, if I recollect correctly, that the PFBC is planning to phase out the entire fall stocking schedule after 2013.

If so many fish on certain waters dont make it thru the warm months of summer, why phase out fall stocking?

Is it a finance issue or is there another reason?

Stagger_Lee wrote:

I think it's mainly financial. I agree that, for streams that warm in summer, the cessation of fall stocking will end trout fishing on those streams in the autumn. From the PFBC's point of view, the fish allotted for this program (the fall stocking) are not being utilized in a cost effective manner. That is to say, too few fishermen are targeting these fish and too few are being caught to justify the cost. This being the case, the PFBC feels that these fish would be better used in the spring. While I don't support ending the fall stocking program personally - for the reasons stated, it would end trout fishing on many streams in the fall - I do see the PFBC's point of view and agree that fall trout fishing is not being pursued by anywhere near as many anglers as the spring season. Purely from a cold costs/benefits analysis.... it's an understandable decision.

Thanks FI, thats what I though so I get it.

What is odd to me is less people fishing for trout in the fall .. beautiful time of year to be on the water as much as you can.

Stagger_Lee wrote:
What is odd to me is less people fishing for trout in the fall .. beautiful time of year to be on the water as much as you can.

Yep - agreed. The fall is far and away my favorite time of year and I do a lot of trout fishing then. However, for most of the outdoors men in PA, the autumn is for other pursuits, mainly hunting. They simply associate fishing with the spring and summer months and mainly springtime for trout. Fishing pressure really drops off in the Sept-Nov period. This is also true for bass: rivers that were pounded by bass guys (not to mention all the kayakers, tubers etc) in summer are nearly vacant by Sept.

Good for guys like us who want to fish this time of year. :)

Fishidiot wrote:
Stagger_Lee wrote:

I think it's mainly financial. I agree that, for streams that warm in summer, the cessation of fall stocking will end trout fishing on those streams in the autumn. From the PFBC's point of view, the fish allotted for this program (the fall stocking) are not being utilized in a cost effective manner. That is to say, too few fishermen are targeting these fish and too few are being caught to justify the cost. This being the case, the PFBC feels that these fish would be better used in the spring. While I don't support ending the fall stocking program personally - for the reasons stated, it would end trout fishing on many streams in the fall - I do see the PFBC's point of view and agree that fall trout fishing is not being pursued by anywhere near as many anglers as the spring season. Purely from a cold costs/benefits analysis.... it's an understandable decision.

Sad, IMO. Allocating more stocked trout in the spring doesn't increase any fishing opportunities, it just means a few more fish for the freezer come spring. With this action, trout fishing in PA ATWs (stocked waters) will turn into a 8-10 week season - early or mid-April thru mid June, if we're lucky. Fished stocked in the fall extend the season for many months through the fall and winter.

As it has been said may times, the PFBC gears the trout program to the first day wonders and the guys that fish a couple of times per year, since they are the margainal anglers that are most likely to not purchase a fishing if they are dissatified and can't catch a limit of fish. Again, the avid trout fisherman that buys a license year in and year out is left on the bank.

There's a good article on this topic in this week's Pa Outdoor News. It suggests that, while most fall stocking will end, some streams near heavy population areas will still get some fish in the fall and that AFM's are working to identify these waters to retain on the stocking list. I'd imagine streams in SEPA would be more likely to be retained than streams in the remote, northern counties(?).

Fishidiot wrote:
There's a good article on this topic in this week's Pa Outdoor News. It suggests that, while most fall stocking will end, some streams near heavy population areas will still get some fish in the fall and that AFM's are working to identify these waters to retain on the stocking list. I'd imagine streams in SEPA would be more likely to be retained than streams in the remote, northern counties(?).

Thanks for the info. I guess we have to wait to see how it all plays out.

The real horror is...will there be a Stocktoberfest 2014!?????

When I posted this I just thought maybe just a few locals would chime in and say "yay, no stocking over wild trout there this fall, etc. etc...." not this lol. Good discussion guys, lots of good info.

The way I heard it, several years ago the PFBC surveyed the FFO of L. Sandy and found a healthy wild trout population, including a couple 16+ fish. They bumped up its classification which caused a reduction in stocked trout allocation. So they eliminated the fall stocking. I think OCTU still does some supplemental stocking though.

Its a money thing. As FI said its not cost effective to trapse around a region with 1/4 -1/2 full tucks dumping a few hundred fish in here and there. Fall stockings were always smaller and had been reduced twice that I can remember. Now the numbers are down to a couple hundred.

We were asked whether we would rather have more int he fall to make the trip worthwhile and less in spring or to eliminate the fall. We chose the Fall stocking with less in spring.

Stocked Trout Allocations/Angler use is calculated in the spring based on opening day and the following month. It is also a matter of total biomass supply.

Angler trips to STA is about 1:1 if I recall correctly. But the goal here is harvest to fully appreciate the use of stocked trout. The FFO's likely exceed the 1:1 goal in most waters over October to Feb/March before the preseason stockings occur. But the fish are not harvested and therefore viewed as wasted. When the reality is the area is constant with modest angler use. It is an appreciated product they provide their best customers. However when crunching the numbers and looking for cuts its an obvious target.

Perhaps a Fall stamp is in order for Special reg areas. Say $5 over 100,000 anglers who frequent the fall and winter special reg areas stocked in fall. Would put $500,000 in the coffers to pay for the busing of trout to your local FFO and DHALO area. I'd pay it.

Maurice,

I think everything in your post is very accurate. I think that the presence of a substantial wild trout population played a role in the decision to not stock the Little Sandy this year. I think that is a good thing.

This is just the next step in a progression. Each year it costs more to create, raise, and transport stocked trout and each year we sell fewer licenses. The trout stocking program as we know it today is no more sustainable than it was twenty ago. For years the PFBC has stocked fewer and fewer trout because of the costs.

I like your idea for a stamp, I said the same thing and more here.

I like the trend that's emerging that puts more of stocking decisions into the hands of the Co/Ops out here in western Pa the Co/Op hatcheries are very numerous and given a fairly free hand. Living as long as i did down east i'd have to say there are twice as many here as there. I could be wrong but where i live it seems that way.

I like the trend that's emerging that puts more of stocking decisions into the hands of the Co/Ops out here in western Pa the Co/Op hatcheries are very numerous and given a fairly free hand. Living as long as i did down east i'd have to say there are twice as many here as there. I could be wrong but where i live it seems that way.

According to the stocking list, Little Sandy wasn't supposed to be stocked this fall. BUT, on the regional reports it says little Sandy was stocked.

I'd like to see all stocking on little sandy stop. the stream has plenty of wild fish, browns, brookies, and yes, I caught a little wild rainbow a few years back. the creek would really do good without the stockies. plus, pressure would go down, lots of guys in the parking lots when it's stocked. but then again, the amish would have nothing for their easy poaching!

Not sure why trout stocked in the fall would be considered wasted. These fish are available through out the winter until the spring stocking and many of the fly fishing areas see decent usage duing this period. I do hope the Commission considers eliminating stocking in class c streams or better though.

I have noticed a decline in the steelhead fishing over the last 4 years. I have to think that there have been cut backs here as well.I guess those of us who enjoy fall fishing will be seeing our fishing opportunities greatly reduced in future years.

I am not really in favor of another stamp. I have a feeling the funds from the fall stamp would just be used for other needs within the commission. It has been speculated that monies generated from the Erie tributary stamp is being used for other projects outside the Lake Erie watershed and I have heard statements from some of the commissioners indicating that is indeed the case. As I have bloviated on several previous posts there needs to be an honesttransparent and frank discussion by the Fish Commission with the trout angling community concerning the goals and realities of the stocking program in Pa. The euphemistic spin we always seem to be fed has to come to an end.

Back