New Little Juniata Postings.

NewSal

NewSal

Today is a sad day.

The limestone road access, both top and bottom is posted as of this morning.

Been in contact with a few people and Bill of LJRA to see if we can do anything to get these removed.

This is a vital access area, and covers alot of ground. This could be really bad to loose this area for good.

Just wanted to let everyone know.

Thanks for the heads-up on this and for your diligence in this matter.

NewSal wrote:
Today is a sad day.

Been in contact with a few people and Bill of LJRA to see if we can do anything to get these removed.

This is a vital access area, and covers alot of ground. This could be really bad to loose this area for good.

Wow....thanks for letting us know.

We've been losing a lot of access on the Little J, and this one really hurts.

Now miles of river a little ways above Spruce Creek is now posted.

Who owns the land/road along limestone road and posted it, the owners of the quarry?

afishinado wrote:
NewSal wrote:
Today is a sad day.

Wow....thanks for letting us know.

We've been losing a lot of access on the Little J, and this one really hurts.

Now miles of river a little ways above Spruce Creek is now posted.

Who owns the land/road along limestone road and posted it, the owners of the quarry?

Yep, New Enterprise is the owner

posted_1.jpg
[/url][/img]

posted2.jpg
[/url][/img]

Thanks again for posting New Sal.

What's with that section of the LJ?! First Beaver, then the yellow house lady, and now the quarry people.

Let us know if we can do anything to help out.

afishinado wrote:
Thanks again for posting New Sal.

What's with that section of the LJ?! First Beaver, then the yellow house lady, and now the quarry people.

Let us know if we can do anything to help out.

I know afish, this isn't good, I really cant believe it. My heart dropped when I seen the signs, truly disheartening. I expect Bill and the ljra will come up with some sort of action plan to try and get this taken care of. Ill let everyone know what we can do.
The downside is that I believe New Enterprise was recently bought by a foreign company. I don't know that as a fact but I did hear it as a rumor. If that is true, it may be hard to overturn a decision made by someone not local to post there property. I dont know, I can only hope that a local manager has the power to manage the property as he wishes, if thats not the case it may be hard to overturn a decision made by some CEO somewhere hundreds of miles away.

NewSal,

Thanks for sharing this and very sad to see access like this going away. As said, please keep us update if you hear more.

This is really terrible news. Appreciate the information and hope this can be re-opened.

Thanks for letting us know about this. I'm starting to get a little concerned now about where/when these postings are gonna stop. I believe there's still a good many more privately owned but currently permissible access points.

evw659 wrote:
Thanks for letting us know about this. I'm starting to get a little concerned now about where/when these postings are gonna stop. I believe there's still a good many more privately owned but currently permissible access points.

There sure is....

If anyones ever delt with companies and posting and have any ideas or suggestions on how to go about trying to regain access post them up

1) It might be a forlorn hope, but is there any chance this is a deer season thing and may revert to status quo in the Spring? This happens quite a bit, at least in my experience..

2) If this is due to corporate policy changes, whether or not there is a new owner involved, it gets more complex of course. I know that when Hammermill Papers was bought by IP back in the 80's and they revoked Hammermill's open access policy and began leasing parcels to individuals and clubs, probably half the access that was originally lost was eventually regained through the joint efforts of local interests (like the LJRA..) and agencies (PFBC) working with the leasees and IP.. But it took it took a good long while and a lot remains locked up to this day.

My view would be the best way to minimize the impact would be to work through local non-profits who are interested, like the Little Juniata River Assoc., etc. and let them work with the new owners if this is what has happened.

RLeep2 wrote:
1) It might be a forlorn hope, but is there any chance this is a deer season thing and may revert to status quo in the Spring? This happens quite a bit, at least in my experience..

Highly unlikely

" It might be a forlorn hope, but is there any chance this is a deer season thing and may revert to status quo in the Spring? This happens quite a bit, at least in my experience.."
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I thought the exact same thing. The timing would be right. I've seen this a lot in my area.

Maybe someone should contact the local newspapers and have an article written. Might generate some buzz and get a lot of attention.

afishinado wrote:
Thanks again for [color=0033CC]posting [/color]New Sal.

That was bad. :roll:

allthingsfishing wrote:
Maybe someone should contact the local newspapers and have an article written. Might generate some buzz and get a lot of attention.

That may happen, I've let Bill A of the ljra know of the situation. He writes a column in the local paper, its a possibility he could write something about it, Ill make a suggestion.

foxtrapper1972 wrote:
" It might be a forlorn hope, but is there any chance this is a deer season thing and may revert to status quo in the Spring? This happens quite a bit, at least in my experience.."
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I thought the exact same thing. The timing would be right. I've seen this a lot in my area.

New enterprise has owned this property damn near forever, and they have never posted it seasonally before, secondly the property would really be terrible for hunting, I'm 1,000% positive new enterprise owns much much better property for hunting. The area that has been posted is nothing but an access road and the river, with a few tree patches, would be hard pressed to even call it "woods". Of course you get wildlife back there occasionally but its not anything to write home about.
Thirdly the "wooded" areas have always been posted, however the access road itself was not posted and open to public for fishing access.. That's no longer the case.

I appreciate the thought though.

I guess I will be taking my kayak the next time I fish the little J!!

Back