Nesquehoning Creek

wildtrout2

wildtrout2

I was wondering if anyone fishes Nesquehoning Creek, and if so, what has been your experience? Every time (9 years) I have ventured along this stream (lower reaches) I've yet to encounter another fisherman. Apparently it get's stocked, although I don't know where. I was always under the impression this was a "dead stream", but if it get's stocked...

Certainly not a dead stream, and certainly is not dependant on stockers for having trout in it.

If I found a place w/ no other fisherman and a hint that I might catch fish, I'd loudly proclaim it dead to all who might care, and enjoy the solace.

Funny reading this when I just watched them stock this today. I cant help stock due to my disability but I went along for the ride to see where it gets stocked. Pretty much all through town with every location getting about 4 or 5 buckets full of browns and rainbows. I think they made 5 or 6 stops along the stream.

I did not fish as the water was a little high from the rain for my liking but there are some nice holes there and I may visit it in the future.

I have never fished it in the past and as a matter of fact did not even know it was there so I was pleasantly surprised to see it first hand and check out a good area of the stream to fish when Im having a better day.

Tight Lines

Smike wrote:
Certainly not a dead stream, and certainly is not dependant on stockers for having trout in it.
You've seen/caught wild trout in the Nesquehoning?

It's one of those streams that flow through coal lands and I've found those typically hold wild trout, for whatever reason.

I'm not far from there, but I have only watched them stock it a few years back. I want to find out how dead it really is.

I believe that it has had some issues with acid mine drainage but I do not know to what extent. Lots of streams in the area to explore though, I would not hesitate to check out some of the feeder streams

Fished Nesquehoning Creek for the first time yesterday (4/27/18). Nice creek, but steady drop in gradient, so tough fly fishing. I caught what appeared to be 1 wild brown. Also caught two small rainbows with brightly colored, well formed fins. They were slightly above town, which is within the stocked area, but far from any stocking signs or easy access. Anyone think that those could be wild rainbows? I then fished the downstream edge of town, and caught a few normal looking stockers with stunted fins.

I decided to finally fish Nesquehoning creek after kayaking from 93 to the mouth after some rainfall last week. That entire stretch is some nice terrain. Looking forward to fishing there. The confluence with Jeans Run could be good fishing. Definitely wild brookies in that creek.

As far as mine run off... the tunnel spewing the AMD is shortly before the confluence of the Lehigh. There is a wetland treatment in place. I believe the Nesquehoning should be fairly clean upstream.

good to know - the confluence with jeans is a fishy spot for sure. immediately above and below

You've seen/caught wild trout in the Nesquehoning?

Affirmative. This stream is not dead by any means. The Lausanne Tunnel outflow of AMD is at the final 30 yards before the confluence with the Lehigh. The water on river left stays clean where it dumps in. This is about 40% of the total outflow from the tunnel as about 60% is diverted into the wetlands AMD mitigation basin, then goes directly into the Lehigh.

There is also wild brookies in the feeder streams above the town. Its high quality water feeding it (Jeans as mention is another shot as well)

Good thing the white bucket carriers are generally lazy, and keep the stockers to very specific spots.

Back