Moores Run Fish and Game Preserve

F

FishinSR

Has anyone fished the Moores Run Fish and Game Preserve lately? I'm thinking of giving it a try, but thought I would ask around first.

Thanks.

Nothing? That surprises me.

why ? Its a private club, most people who belong to clubs do not post.

looked at that place before and considered taking the nephews there. Just couldn't see paying to fish though.

Thanks for the info.

Agreed, not gonna find much info for a pay to fish place here.

I have fished there several times as a guide for Project Healing Waters. The owners Roy and Kathy are great and the vets always catch big fish. There are some very big fish and it is enjoyable catching big fish on streamers, nymphs, dry flies, etc; however, that being said I have been a volunteer guide and have not paid to fish there. I did think about paying to fish with a friend but have never done so. There are good hatches on the stream and pond as well and fish respond aggressively to dry flies.

Great people, setting and fishing. I have fished it before and am going May 10. The pond/lake is streamer fishing for giant stocked trout. Not what many here would consider fishing, but it is fun and to me that is the goal of fishing. The stream was restored many years ago and stocked with Kamloops rainbows. It has not been stocked since the original stocking and these stream bred fish act wild: not easy to fool, many LARGE fish and great fighters. In fact, the fish in the stream are larger than those in the pond.

scotto wrote:
Great people, setting and fishing. I have fished it before and am going May 10. The pond/lake is streamer fishing for giant stocked trout. Not what many here would consider fishing, but it is fun and to me that is the goal of fishing. The stream was restored many years ago and stocked with Kamloops rainbows. It has not been stocked since the original stocking and these stream bred fish act wild: not easy to fool, many LARGE fish and great fighters. In fact, the fish in the stream are larger than those in the pond.

do they let you tube the lake ?

$50 is not bad for a half day - lehigh bike rental is $30 for 3hrs...

if they have wild c&r fishing i don't see the issue.

geebee wrote:

At these places you are fishing primarily for hatchery trout that are fed regularly with pellets.

I'm not saying that's an issue. I'm just saying that's what it is. Don't expect fishing for wild trout.

troutbert wrote:
geebee wrote:

At these places you are fishing primarily for hatchery trout that are fed regularly with pellets.

I'm not saying that's an issue. I'm just saying that's what it is. Don't expect fishing for wild trout.

the website says wild c&r - most places are pellet pigs though.

I have caught wild brook and rainbow trout in the stream, but most fish are the large ones that have been raising in the hatchery and then released.

I'd like to here how you do on May 10. Thanks.

geebee wrote:
scotto wrote:

do they let you tube the lake ?

$50 is not bad for a half day - lehigh bike rental is $30 for 3hrs...

Please share how you do and what it is like. Thanks.

scotto wrote:

Please share your thoughts on the place after your trip. Thanks.

The fishing was excellent and Roy is a great host. Fish were caught on the lake by our whole group, 11 anglers, using mainly black buggers, but a few were caught on large stimulators and Chernobyl ants. In the stream, black buggers and eggs(light pink w/ dark pink spot) were the ticket. The fish in the stream require a careful approach. Stalk quietly, keep low and cast accurately and you can be rewarded. A sloppy approach will minimize your chances greatly. There were Hendrikson spinners over the stream but they never touched down.

Back