Monocacy Creek Archibald Johnston area?

Marv_Levy

Marv_Levy

Im curios if you allowed to fish here? I just helped my cousin move to an apartment right by the Conservation area and there some great looking water running by her place. I see posted signs before the Conservation area but after the sign for the Archibald Johnston there isnt any that i can see. Its located at the a 3way intersection Santee Mill Rd , Altonah Rd, and Township Line Rd. I looked for the Archibald JOhnston area on http://fishandboat.com/mpag1.htm couldnt find anything.

I was thinking its either completely off limits or since its a conservation it would be special regs.

Any ideas?

The only way to know is to ask. I don't think it is open, but unless you ask...

Private. Not special regs...but you might be able to get permission.

There's a lot off 191 north of 22 where you can park and a open stretch

Thanks. Wonder who I would have to talk to the houses by it or someone from Archibald?

Have you thought about joining Monocacy TU?

This is a complicated subject at best. That stretch of creek is officially "closed" by the county to fishing. I actually just had a conversation about it with Jeff Sabo, the WCO for our area. He has asked the county to open it, but they don't want to. In order to fish that stretch, you have to get a special permit from the county, which needs to be for research purposes. The Monocacy Chapter of TU may pursue doing that, and allow members fish there to help determine the health of the stream. To be honest that stretch of stream doesn't hold a lot of fish though. If you have any more questions about it please feel free to PM me.

Erik Broesicke
President Monocacy Chapter TU

Thanks for the info ebroesicke. I actually ran into Officer Sabo "not for illegal reasons lol" a few times last year on the Bushkill and the Saucon nice guy from what i could tell. If i see him this year maybe ill bring up the subject.

Me and my buddy like to explore new areas we get tired of fishing the stocked swimming holes and standing shoulder to shoulder with people. We like to try catch the elusive trout and we cant always make a day of it and hit the Poconos or somewhere else.

again thanks for the info would be nice to get the area open even if it was just Special Reg catch and release to TU members.

yeah, jeff is a good guy. It would be nice to have that area opened, even if it is just to provide more places to fish. I can tell you that back when the property was privately owned, some TU members got permission to fish there and they weren't real impressed with the amount of fish there, but it is a cool place.

Erik

Back