Mill Creek Westmoreland Co.

D

Dubtheflyfisher

Lately, I have been fishing the headwaters of mill creek, mostly being on the south fork. I am interested in making a hike to fish the left fork of mill creek for it is designated class A mixed brook/brown trout fishery. I know that the state stocks the area called "three forks" with brown trout fingerling every year and the PFBC says that there are wild browns, but I myself have never seen a wild brown on any fork of mill creek. Just curious as to whether there are really wild browns on left fork or not?

Dubtheflyfisher wrote:
I am interested in making a hike to fish the left fork of mill creek for it is designated class A mixed brook/brown trout fishery.

Just curious as to whether there are really wild browns on left fork or not?

Welcome to our forum Dub, we're glad to have yuh.

Sounds like a fun hike. I'd definitely consider this a worthwhile exploration.

Youre not gonna see any above the reservoir on the South Fork. ;-)

Cant speak for any of the forks, but those fingerlings they stock do pretty well. Ive caught a few nice browns on the main stem in Ligonier that were colored up just like wild fish. If the fingerlings are surviving so well in the stream cant see why they wouldn't be reproducing.

Anymore info on the fingerling stocking? I didnt realize they stocked em in there. I though they stocked 'bows only.

Nevermind, Google is an amazing tool.

I too have not made that hike yet, but I'll make it all day for the chance at a wild tiger trout

I've caught some nice brownies out of the main creek that side by side would look identical to any wild PA brown trout. Maybe wild, maybe stocked fingerlings. Who knows and who cares? It's awesome either way lol. There's so much public land and high quality fishing to be explored up there. The trouble is access and time. It's there to be explored tho. I have talked to people that have logged in some hours, and getting back in there is supposed to be a long hike and time consuming. If you keep knocking a different fork or trib off the list, I bet you eventually run into a wild brown trout of two. Good luck! Getting that area mapped out is going to be my 2017 fly fishing goal so who knows, you might run into me sometime.

I fished the South fork of Mill this past Saturday. Didn't fish it for very long as I spent the better part of the morning on Linn Run. No browns to report but I did catch a few nice little gemmies. Next time maybe ill make the journey over to the left fork and see if I cant find a few browns as well

Well I decided to make the hike up to the right and left fork over the weekend. It was not my most rewarding trip fishing-wise and no sights of any browns, but some of the scenery I saw up there was beautiful, especially in the fresh, powdery snow. Just the sights alone are enough to make me want to go back!

I'm building a house about 100 yards from the South Branch, so I'll be seeing you guys around there soon.

Dub,

It has been a while since I have been in there, but yes, I have caught small browns on both forks of the middle branch.

Thanks! Making another hike up that this weekend with the nice weather

Lately, I have been fishing the headwaters of mill creek, mostly being on the south fork. I am interested in making a hike to fish the left fork of mill creek for it is designated class A mixed brook/brown trout fishery. I know that the state stocks the area called "three forks" with brown trout fingerling every year and the PFBC says that there are wild browns, but I myself have never seen a wild brown on any fork of mill creek. Just curious as to whether there are really wild browns on left fork or not?
I kno this is old but mill creek main stem is loaded with wild fish. They’ve been naturally reproducing for a while. I’ve caught 100 percent wild browns up to 16 inches in the main stem. And left has wilds also. That’s a wild watershed in general weather it be browns or natives. The lower few miles of mainstem is stockies only but other than that there’s natural reproduction everywhere

Attachments

• 5C796658-33CA-4CC1-8FC0-1E3363128B3F.png
    5C796658-33CA-4CC1-8FC0-1E3363128B3F.png
    617.4 KB · Views: 81
I kno this is old but mill creek main stem is loaded with wild fish. They’ve been naturally reproducing for a while. I’ve caught 100 percent wild browns up to 16 inches in the main stem. And left has wilds also. That’s a wild watershed in general weather it be browns or natives. The lower few miles of mainstem is stockies only but other than that there’s natural reproduction everywhere
Thanks for the post. I have not fished mill creek in years. Will have to hit it up soon.

I'm a newbie here and thank you for posting this! I'm really eager to try Mill Creek out. I'm a bit tired of fishing the Delayed Harvest area of the Loyalhanna. I saw this article which made me even more curious. I know there's alot of private property where Mill Creek runs through near the bridge and trail. This and the forks I've been reading about has my interest. I will definitely need to do some more research on accessing the forks. I'm not familiar with that area at all. Looks off the beaten path, which can be good!

Back