Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Michaux State Forest

From Shipp
[img align=right width=300]long pine rattler[/img]

Saw this guy on Birch Run Rd between Birch Run and Pine Run. There was another dead in the road about 50 yds away. be careful out there!

Posted on: 2013/6/12 13:07

Is that a recent photo? I need to be more careful, because I hike through a lot of heavy brush on these streams. I try to wear waders but sometimes wet-wade late season. It would not be good getting a snakebite 2 miles from my car...

Posted on: 2013/6/12 22:58

From South Central,PA
They are out there...if you are on facebook look up the michaux page. They post pics of bears and snakes sometimes.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 23:05

From Lancaster
If you are fishing in snake country you really need to be aware. They are out there! Having a close encounter with one really has a way of peaking your awareness the whole rest of the day! Seriously, watch where you step and put your hands. Be careful stepping over logs. Snakes like to lay alongside of downed logs because it is a great place to ambush mice and other little critters.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 23:08

From SW PA (Pittsburgh Area)
Looked like a beautiful day. Great pics!

Posted on: 2013/6/12 23:15

From Johnstown, PA
Chris..........I lived in Newville around 10 or 12 years late 90s until around 2005 and then back out west here near Da Burgh.......anyhow i thought i knew Micheaux like the backof my hand but i dont remember that lake unless it's the one that flows down the Caledonia side of the mountain or maybe the York county side? It's been years since i fished Micheaux and it was mostly the Cumberland county side and mostly the Mountain creek and Yellow Breeches watersheds but i used to stay at Caledonia alot cause of Falling springs and there was a lake on the road from Caledonia back to Pine Grove furnace that drained back do9wn the Caledonia side is that it? Got me3 rememberin here ..........i had both legs back then Micheaux was awesome and close to home. Diverse fishing ops HUGE diversity. COOL POST

Posted on: 2013/6/13 7:24

From Shipp
Quote:
Is that a recent photo?

Yes, that was taken Monday.

Posted on: 2013/6/13 7:31

From Gettysburg
Quote:

osprey wrote:
dont remember that lake ...... there was a lake on the road from Caledonia back to Pine Grove furnace that drained back do9wn the Caledonia side is that it?

No, this lake is Long Pine.
The lake you remember was known as "Birch Run" or "Chambersburg Reservoir" and remains drained. We've had this discussion before as there remains confusion about this lake versus the one that has been drained. The problem stems from the fact that Long Pine is now sometimes called "Chambersburg" because it is the water supply for that town.

The old Birch Run lake bed will not be re-filled but is currently being managed as recovered forest. TU is also working on a promising project, to begin shortly, in conjunction with DCNR to recover the streambed as brook trout habitat.

Posted on: 2013/6/13 7:34

What do they plan to do to the streambed in the drained reservoir? And what is the theory?

Wouldn't simply allowing the vegetation to recover and the stream channel to find its own path yield results that just as good or better?

Posted on: 2013/6/13 7:52

From Johnstown, PA
I have to agree with Troubert other than maybe a few well plaqced boulders/stones?

Posted on: 2013/6/13 8:42

From South Central,PA
Here is a video of a local guy and son fishing the old reservoir. Gives you an idea of what its like, if you've never been there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZP2xg4KoHo

Posted on: 2013/6/13 9:27

From South Lebanon Township, PA
The habitat is poor in the old lakebed section. That's not to say that anything should be done about it, but it will take a while for the stream to carve out a new channel. It makes some nice bends which in time should make some nice holes, but again that takes time. TU is probably looking for something more immediate.

Eventually, once the forest grows in and the stream makes some habitat, it will be a nice stretch to fish. Much of that watershed above the old lakebed is choked with rhodo and difficult if not impossible to fish in many places.

Posted on: 2013/6/13 11:07

From LV
Quote:

osprey wrote:
Chris..........I lived in Newville around 10 or 12 years late 90s until around 2005 and then back out west here near Da Burgh.......anyhow i thought i knew Micheaux like the backof my hand but i dont remember that lake unless it's the one that flows down the Caledonia side of the mountain or maybe the York county side? It's been years since i fished Micheaux and it was mostly the Cumberland county side and mostly the Mountain creek and Yellow Breeches watersheds but i used to stay at Caledonia alot cause of Falling springs and there was a lake on the road from Caledonia back to Pine Grove furnace that drained back do9wn the Caledonia side is that it? Got me3 rememberin here ..........i had both legs back then Micheaux was awesome and close to home. Diverse fishing ops HUGE diversity. COOL POST

There were 2 lakes on the Eastern side of Micheaux SF, lone Pine Reservoir and one other that is no longer there further down the drainage along the state highway. The water in the old lakebed has had a restoration completed and the fishing is decent in that sections.

Posted on: 2013/6/13 14:31

Lots of great comments...

I fished the stream above the drained reservoir a few years back. Only caught one Brookie, but it was BIG...

I've fished Long Pine Reservoir a few times over the years with the fly rod. Caught some Perch and small bass, but it was tough.

Osprey: I fish the Cumberland County side more often as well, because I live in Camp Hill. Toms Run and the headwaters of Mountain Creek are both great wild Brook and Brown Trout streams. Lots of great wild trout water as you head towards Caledonia and beyond. Headwaters of Antietam above the Waynesboro reservoir, is a nice stream too.

Posted on: 2013/6/13 22:30

From Johnstown, PA
We have a friend from Gettysburg who comes out this way who speaks highly of the Waynesboro resevoir.

Posted on: 2013/6/17 7:07

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com