Meadow Run DHALO ?

SBDbowstrings

SBDbowstrings

Anyone fished it recently? I believe they stocked last Tuesday.

TIA and God bless,

I fished it on Wednesday, the water was cold ( I didn't measure the temp.) a little high and had a slight whitish color. I fished from the bridge to the cascade water fall, most of the trout seemed to be lying in tight pods probably close to where they were stocked. Caught 10, all browns and all caught on a woolly bugger.

Go to the mouth and strip 6in streamers. Just sayin

Thanks, appreciate the info.

At one point mid-afternoon on Saturday I counted 16 people within eyesight, spread across just three holes.

Only comparable conditions I've ever seen would be Erie tribs at peak run.

Just went up there this am, 2-9-20. Had to be 40 vehicles in the upper parking lot. I did not fish.

It's that time of year. Special Reg sections are PACKED. Today's conditions are so nice I'm going to grill and drink beer instead because they're going to be a guaranteed zoo. I fished a wild section yesterday though and didn't see a soul.

I saw three other anglers on an unstocked, Class A specials regs stream yesterday. And not one of the well-publicized popular Central PA ones. I half forgot it was specials regs til I got there and saw the signs and remembered.

Just one of the reasons March is my least favorite fishing month in PA. You get anglers consolidated into less places, especially on nice days. Unstocked, non-special regs streams are the way to go if you want to avoid the crowds in March (or anytime really, but it’s definitely exacerbated in March). Also, I always feel like March is a tease weather and conditions wise. You get some really warm days, like yesterday and today, but they’re usually preceded and followed by colder snaps, and the water and the fish never really fully react to the warm spells. For most of PA, it’s mid-April until you get consistently warmer weather, and maybe even more like early May for the northern tier.

Still, just looking at my calendar and weekends, that’s probably the only outing I’ll be able to make in March, so I was grateful to get out and catch a few. One was a 16-17" range Brown...I don't catch a lot of big fish with the small streams I generally fish. Based on my history, 50/50 or so chance that will be the biggest Trout I catch this year. In March of all months, when I generally fish the least.

Meadow Run has really great wildflowers once that season arrives.

More than we typically see here in central PA.

Ended up there on Monday. Could not believe the number of cars in the lot. I am sure hundreds of people tramped through there on the weekend and those fish got every lure know to mankind thrown at them....haha

Just a note, alot of those cars are hikers, I've fished it, with lots of cars in the lot, and found maybe 3 other fisherman on the creek, everyone else just out enjoying the woods.

bikerfish Posted on: Today 8:46
Just a note, alot of those cars are hikers, I've fished it, with lots of cars in the lot, and found maybe 3 other fisherman on the creek, everyone else just out enjoying the woods.

Thanks! Good to know.

I confirm that bikerfish is correct. Anyway, when you get to the bottom of the hill, up and down is probably 2 miles either way. Keep walking if you don't want to see another angler.

I personally enjoy seeing other anglers. I even say "hello."

You're right about that, Jack.

I've always been curious if they're actually able to stock below the Cascades? Trail leaves the water for long stretches and touches down at more "touristy" hiker locations.

I don't consider myself a good enough fly fisherman to judge if what I manage to bring to net is a result of direct stocking or fish that have traveled.

Not sure about now, but they used to float stock as much as possible. They also ATV stocked. Taking the trails with boxes of trout as far as they could get them.

I fished last Sunday (3-8) and while there were a lot of hikers there were alot of fisherman. At least 30-40 I saw walking almost the entire Stretch and I skipped alot of the mid section. The worse was the usual waterfall to the big bend hole on the upper section that gets stocked heavily.
Used to like fishing it but since it's become a keystone select water it's a zoo with spin fisherman. They also don't stock much on the lower section like they used to. I saw zero tracks and the trails were horrible so I don' see them having stocked it. They probably figure they'll wash down.

Back