Maryland locations

T

Testudo20

I'm going back to college tomorrow at UMD, College Park. I was wondering if there are any good fishing streams in that area. The school is about 7 miles northeast of Washington, DC. I'd love to take my new addiction to school with me! Thanks

There are a couple trout streams, both stocked and wild, in that area. They're generaly not very well known although a bit further north will put you in the vicinity of the upper Patuxent which has a special reg section and wild browns. Frankly, down around DC is a trout desert and a much better warm water game. The tidal Potomac has world class bass fishing although it's mostly a boat fishery. If you have your heart set on trout fishing, you'd be better off IMO to head a bit further north into Frederick County or out toward Shenandoah National Park.

During my spare time in CP there were a few places I would fish during school days. There's the Middle Patuxent in savage mill which is up rt 1 north of laurel. You can fish right at the mill and up stream. There's a wild trout stream called the Paint branch but there aren't really a lot of trout in it. They're there and you'd want to fish from Randolf Rd upstream towards Cloverly. You might want to give a shot at Shad fishing. The Potomac has awesome shad fishing in April. Oh, I almost forgot, the Patuxent in Laurel also receives a stocking in the spring. The MD dnr also has an interactive map of all stocked trout streams.

Perhaps also join Potomac Patuxent TU and join them for meetings and outings, etc.

I spent last summer in the College Park area for my internship. I found a lot of fun warm water fishing in the area in the tribs to the Anacostia. Just don't do any wet wading especially after it rains.
As for trout, in addition to the advice above it is only an hour to the Gunpowder during weekend traffic.

Shennondoah NP isn't more then a couple of hours away, in good traffic. 3 hours max.

Testudo20,
PM was sent...check your acct.

Back