Manada creek artificial only fogerty rd

Y

yaknoff

I attempted to make my way out to Fogarty Rd stock point today. I haven't been out here in years and I ended up turning back. Coming from Manada Gap rd GPS told me to turn onto McLean Rd, which is a dirt road. What I didn't like is that there were signs posted to keep out and vehicles subject to search and seizure, federal property etc....

I am sure it's ok but with my gas light turning on and not being certain I didn't want to risk finding another way there and accidentally ending up on property I am not suppose to be on.

What are others experiences and recommendations in this area?

Thanks!

Been on that road too and turned around. I was hoping some one could shed some light on this. Anybody?

You need special permits to drive on McLean Rd. I've never fished Manada, but I hunted the Gap for quite a few years. The regulations tend to change from year to year. I don't know what they are now.

McLean Road takes you through all of the artillery ranges and dumps you out at Cold Springs Road. If you're heading east the impact area is to your left.

It's a "you really shouldn't even think about walking here area."

Yeah, the easiest way to reach the upper DHALO limit on Manada legally is to park somewhere along 443 and hike the stream/stream bank up. It's not a long walk, half mile or less. I'm not certain, but I don't think you can fish above Fogarty Rd., similar to how you can't fish above the co-op hatchery on Indiantown Run (also on Gap property). At the very least I think you need a special permit from the Gap.

FWIW, the stretch from where Manada makes that right hand turn away from 443 and up toward Fogarty Rd. is kind of poor fishing IMO. I remember it as basically being a long, straight shallow riffle for the most part. The habitat is better in the lower section of the DHALO where it cuts through the mountain.

I've fished it up that far and while the fishing is sort of slow me and phish have still had good enough days to go back.

It's on the reproduction list so is Indiantown Run.

Chaz wrote:
It's on the reproduction list so is Indiantown Run.

Yeah, they both have wild Browns that are stocked over pretty heavily. It always amazes me when I catch a wild Brown on those streams knowing how many stockers are dumped in each year. Both would be decent wild streams if they weren't stocked IMO. I'm pretty sure I saw some pics on here in the last year or two of what appeared to be some small wild Bows from Manada too.

Yea wild bows are rare in manada. I have caught a few. Above fogarty road you can fish with a permit from the gap. Thy have classes you have to attend to acquire said permit. An they only have the classes once a year. They are in September or October. Before deer season starts. I have fished well above fogarty road. Nice water, but the 50.cals ratting off in the near distance an a storm moving in had us turn back. You can also fish above the hatchery on ITG run with said permit.

Great info, Phish!

I have always stopped where the signs promising death and taxes start up. The fishing beyond that, the one or two times I continued on, was poor. Not sure why they would stock that far up.

Manada closer to the ATW is a lot more fun, but of course you encounter less and less wild fish with each step down. Never caught a wild bow there, but I am sure there's a few.

Also, a tip for the stream - My luck has always increased if weather is about to hit or already has. Other streams might sometimes improve, but Manada has always produced for me when weather was on the way.

My father grew up a few miles down the road from there. Way before my time, the cabin at the bridge pool used to be a family members, so he always tells me his fishing stories growing up. Anyways..... when I was younger, you could get a permit from the fort and park and fish your way up from there. I have no idea if you still can or cannot, but the fishing used to be stellar farther up the stream. My dad used to catch alot of wild brookies way upstream 35+ years ago, but what I remember as a kid was mostly browns. The manada is absolutely beautiful farther up in the gap.

Back