Mad River, Eureka CA

camdogrs

camdogrs

Any members here have any experience out west on the Mad in Eureka/Humboldt area? I am heading out to visit some friends that do not really fish but I definitely want to bring some gear. I know there is a hatchery in the area and that I can fish downstream of it to the mouth of where it meets the Pacific.

Yes, it is an absolutely beautiful area. I could recommended visiting the cliff beaches of Trinidad and golds bluffs beach state park. I have not fished the Mad. I have fished the Trinity River for steelhead. There is a fly shop is Eureka , I recommend checking with them. I have a buddy that lives in the area and have visited the area many times. Typically the most expensive gas in the country.

It is also the weed capital of the world- while not legal it is very prevalent. Locals refer to the smell of it as the Humboldt breeze.

You can fish for coastal cutthroats in the lagoons and bay areas close by. Also the Eel River is close and has steel and salmon runs as well as coastal cutts.

I fished the Trinity off highway 299 near Willow Creek.

It is mostly a remote rural area that is so diverse and beautiful.

Have fun.

Thanks for the advice! Looking forward to this trip. Eureka fly shop was going to be my first stop.

I haven't fished the river you are asking about, but I have fished a couple of places in CA, notably the Sac. and McCloud Rivers, If you get near them, definitely fish them.
I've researched the coast of CA. Streams and there are many that have trout salmon and steelhead.Have fun.

Just found out there are a lot of restrictions for April/May. Going to check with the fly shop and find what is my best option.

Back