Little Schuylkill DHALO

KeithS

KeithS

Anyone been there recently? I'm thinking of going up this weekend. I need to stop at Cabela's and since I'm in the area......

It's been a long time since I've fished the DH section, it never appealed to me. But I do fish the Ltl. Schuylkill in other reaches. If you're going to Cabelas, you may want to try the lower reach just above Port Clinton. They stock fingerlings there and the fishing can be good. I've also caught brookies there, but they aren't stocked, so don't be surprised if you catch some brookies. The other section I fish is above New Ringgold at the RR crossing over the river. You need a wading staff there, it can be rough going. Up between South Tamaqua and Tamaqua can be pretty good also. A club stocks that water, the brookies are not stocked but are wild, I'm not sure where they are from but the upper Ltl. Schuylkill has natives and so do all the tribs. Hope this helps.

Thanks, Chaz

The DHALO section fishes well year round. Had good steady action with browns and bows this past weekend.

This is one of the stream sections for which fall stockings will be terminated beginning in 2013 due to light fishing pressure in the fall.

I heard they were going to quit stocking the DH areas on Pine Creek to, I think it's a mistake, when I was up there twice in October, there were at least a dozen anglers at each DH areas, and I was there during the week. I believe the economic impact for the region is positive with the stocking of trout in the fall.

I also think they should increase the stocking of Pine Creek to the entire length, not only would it attract more anglers, but i also feeds the eagles and ospreys, which is a positive thing.

Chaz,
The club that stocked the LS folded up many years ago.

Adult trout are stocked in Port Clinton, just above the confluence.

The club in Delano?

pine has a large number of people fishing in the fall. would benifit a stocking from slate run to ansonia for sure.

Where have you been?

The club would be the Little Schuylkill Conservaion Club. Been at least 10 years since they're gone.

I thought it was the Schuylkill TU Chapter, no?

There are a few of the "$50 Reward" signs still around.

Does anyone know what the deal is with the camp on the island?

jrmyln wrote:
I thought it was the Schuylkill TU Chapter, no?

There are a few of the "$50 Reward" signs still around.

Does anyone know what the deal is with the camp on the island?

I often wandered that too. It looks like a great party spot, which I'm sure it is used for. I fished it a few weeks ago and saw something that really sucked. If you know where the benches are in the DH area, there was a huge pile of trash there. It was thrown on top of a fire ring. It made me sick. Downstream is bad enough with everone throwing their trash off the mountain side. Pigs.

The large deep hole with a swing rope is very popular, especially in the summer. Unfortunately, even though it is DHALO, there is a large amount of bait fishing that occurs there. But that hole is where it ends. All of that trash you saw in the fire ring was actually cleaned up from that area. Not sure who it was, but farther down, where the ravine is, you can see a ton of bikes and other trash that others have tossed down the hill. That's all in an area that would be too dangerous to undertake a clean up.
If anyone has suggestions on how to clean it up safely, I'd be more than happy to lend a hand.
I fish that stream at least once a month if not more.

Glad I found this thread. I'm in the mood to try some new waters today and this is less than an hour from home. Any tips? I have directions to the 895 bridge, from what I understand the DHALO section is 1.7 miles down stream from that bridge.

Many groups do stream cleanups in the spring, usually around late April.

Contact the fly shop there, if it's still open, or Schuylkill Cty TU, and see if they do a cleanup, and volunteer.

Since fall stockings are to be discontinued in the Little Sch DHALO area beginning in 2013, I would recommend fishing the Little Schuylkill in the Tamaqua area from within Tamaqua upstream to Locust Creek's confluence. This stretch is stocked heavily in spring, carries fish through the summer, and has low density populations of wild brown and wild brook trout. It is particularly nice from just above town upstream to Locust Creek.

I will have to check that section out Mike. Although the fall stockings are going to cease, I believe there's enough holdovers and wilds to continue to fish this year round. Those that harvest rarely venture any further than 50ft from their car anyway.

Back