Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Little Lehigh Open Water

From Schwenksville, PA
Anyone who has fished the LL knows that it can be rewarding. While it is not what it used to be and is a tough fishery, there are quality fish throughout the stream.

Personally, I tend to find myself fishing the same sections of water (FFO/DHALO), not just for the LL but on other streams as well. This spring I would like to venture out to new sections of water. For the Little Lehigh, I was wondering if anyone has had luck in the open water. I know parts of the open water are Class A and also probably support holdover fish. Does anyone find success outside of the heritage section?

Posted on: 12/27 19:54

Re: Little Lehigh Open Water
From Chester County
Quote:

FlyGuy9 wrote:
Anyone who has fished the LL knows that it can be rewarding. While it is not what it used to be and is a tough fishery, there are quality fish throughout the stream.

Personally, I tend to find myself fishing the same sections of water (FFO/DHALO), not just for the LL but on other streams as well. This spring I would like to venture out to new sections of water. For the Little Lehigh, I was wondering if anyone has had luck in the open water. I know parts of the open water are Class A and also probably support holdover fish. Does anyone find success outside of the heritage section?

Yes sir. Fishing is good both upstream and downstream of the Heritage area and there's plenty of access since it's part of the Parks System. Give it a try in the spring.

Posted on: 12/28 6:29

The area around the confluence of Cedar Creek is a good place to spend some time.Up or down there are hold overs,some native and of course lots of stocked fish.Lots of parking near by and it is still the park system.

Posted on: 12/29 15:21

From Schwenksville, PA
Thanks for the info, I also am going to try Cedar Creek.

Posted on: 12/29 18:19

Fish the open water with confidence as long as you fish habitat that is primarily rocky rather than pea gravel and sand. You can also find very good wild Brown Trout populations upstream from Allentown and Emmaus in much of the LL plus it's primary tribs upstream from Emmaus. There are also short, productive areas of good habitat in the Cedar Ck confluence area where you have indicated an interest in fishing. There you will most likely catch primarily stocked fish.

Posted on: 12/29 21:54

From Schwenksville, PA
Anyone know if the LL is frozen over at all? Most of the heritage section has good current. I’m dying to try some of the size 22 midges I just tied.

Posted on: 12/31 17:54

I have never seen it freeze, it's spring creek but it can get into the 30's.

Posted on: 1/1 15:35

Ditto on louM post,I have n't seen it recently but in the 60+ years I have been around it I have never seen it frozen,some ice on the edges that"s about all.Question is....how to keep your line from becoming a ice rope in these temps.And if you do go out and hook into some do NOT take them out of water.

Posted on: 1/2 10:48

From Schwenksville, PA
Thanks for the info fellas. Ill just wait out this cold snap then head out. Gotta keep filling the fly boxes.

Posted on: 1/2 21:08

From LV
All of the open water on the LL is good. It's under fished most of the summer.

Posted on: 1/3 19:09

From Lehigh Valley
It’s good all the way to the confluence with Jordan creek. I tend to stay below fish hatchery road, not so much in the fly area just don’t go above there much.
Any riff that drop off with depth will hold fish.

Posted on: 1/6 8:59

I feel that the open water is usually better for fly fishermen since the fish see less fly anglers. For example, I like trico fishing below the special Regs area since the trout in the Heritage stretch see a million flies in the first week of the hatch and get jaded quickly while the fish in other spots don't. Plus, the bait and spinner crew isn't always as effective in hooking the wild browns as fly fishermen leaving the browns in open water a little less snooty IMHO. From Opening Day for a month or two when the open water is stocked it can get crowded, but when the bait fishermen thin down I like the open water.

Posted on: 1/8 10:07

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Angling Trade E-Survey: How Many Outdoor Print Magazines Do You Subscribe To?
None. Nada. Zip. 50% (46)
One or two. 32% (30)
Three or four. 13% (12)
More than four. 3% (3)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2017/10/27 11:42
Comments?

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com