Little J

H

Hounds

I may have the opportunity this weekend to fish the little j for the first time this weekend. I will be coming from the Altoona area. I really would appreciate some guidance. What area should I fish this time of year? I plan to nymph. Any ideas on what nymphs I should bring or tie? I have been fly fishing for only three years so any help is appreciated. Is there a fly shop near by? If anyone is fishing this weekend I'd love to meet up to learn a little. I live 2 1/2 hours away so I would not be taking anyone's secret spot. I have never really had the opportunity to fish out of town before so if I get to its a huge deal. I'd be happy to pay someone for the help.

Thank you

I'd suggest you try the section at the town of Spruce Creek.
There's a nice fly shop right at the bridge.

There's a tributary that comes in just above the bridge also called "Spruce Creek" but it is posted (you can access a short but nice section upstream). This stream puts a shot of cold water in to the LJ, but you may wish to check temps anyway. Do note that if you fish the LJ upstream from the bridge, you should stay in the water due to private property issues. Personally, I like the section downstream anyway. Generic nymphs are fine, you might try some wet ants or terrestrials too.
Good luck with your trip.

I may be misunderstanding FI, but Spruce Creek enters just downstream of the bridge and the downstream lands are private. The fishing upstream of the bridge is generally open to access, unless otherwise posted.

I did some internet scouting for you: air temps will be in the low 80s up to your trip as a high. Overnight lows are expected to be right around 60 each night. The flows went up but are on their way down now, at their recent peak they were still under wade-able limits. I cannot see any sustained rains expected but their will be some thundershowers between now and Friday.

I would go and enjoy, fish wherever you please, after checking temps. You may find them quite comfortable for active trout just after sunrise and less so perhaps before sunset. Oxygen is most important, so if the water temps are getting up near 70 degrees, consider fishing below riffles or any "waterfalls," and near cool-water inlets, which can be located by consulting Google Maps.

Jack has the posted/unposted water labeled correctly in his post. Also, there is a fly shop at the junction of the river and posted Spruce Creek. But, F/I is correct that in the water below the bridge if you keep your feet wet, you can fish the navigable river, and the water really is nicer there. If you have a 'yak or a canoe, fishing below the bridge along the homewaters/spring ridge club property can be relatively easier. I don't know if that area is still filled with their pellet-fed pigs or not, not having fished it for years.

If you drive down to Barree, the water is easy to access, and so is the water above Spruce Creek. The river itself is open to public fishing everywhere, but there are some private properties through which you may not access the river.

Check the water temps, too. When my wife and I drove past a couple days ago to the Spruce Creek Tavern (a fine place to eat), lots of guys were fishing. But, I'd imagine the river is getting close to 70 degrees, which is pretty much a cut-off point for trout survival when they are caught and released.

Good luck if you go.

Fished the Barree section on Saturday. Water was stained, but we were somewhat successful nymphing. There were fish taking caddis emergers. I had my best luck with copper beaded walts worms with mono rib. Sexy walts worked as well. Tossed turds, squirms, mops as well. Not much luck. Frenchies were somewhat productive.

Thank you gentlemen. I really appreciate the help.

Thanks gents for the correction - had it backward in my mind and it is important for this particular section.

SBecker wrote:
... Sexy walts worked as well. Tossed turds, squirms, mops as well.

Where do I purchase a dictionary to translate that?

Since the major hatches are pretty much over on the j, you can keep your fly selection pretty simple. For nymphs I would bring small pt type flies, small green caddis larvas, green weenies, wet ants, and a few iso nymphs. Green honeybugs work really well this time of year too. As others have said, take a thermometer. I fished one of the colder sections of the j this past Sunday and the water temp was just under 70 midday.

shortrod2 wrote:
SBecker wrote:
... Sexy walts worked as well. Tossed turds, squirms, mops as well.

Where do I purchase a dictionary to translate that?

Google - it's all there.

Sexy Walt's Worm
Turd fly
Squirmy Worm
Mop fly

Lol

Turds- chenille body with a bunch of rubber legs.
Squirms- Mondo spaghetti ball materiel wrapped on a hook to look like a worm.
Mops- micro fiber mop material laced on a hook. Popular in chartreuse and tan.
Sexy walts- Loren Williams pattern tied like a Walts worm, ribbed with Sulky metallic and given a orange hot spot collar.

Thank you. Where do I find green honey bugs? Is cotton chenille common? Does anyone have any pictures of these? Can I use regular chenille? Like the stuff for buggers?

Forecasted aiir temps look reasonable for the rest of this this week. If LJR doesn't get pounded by any rain, the flow should be decent and water temps should be fine for the weekend. Fishing might get slow on Sunday if it get into the upper 80's that day but the rest of the forecast leading up the to the weekend should make for OK conditions.

Best spots to fish: Anywhere that doesn't already have someone fishing there. Seriously. Just fish anywhere that looks good.

Your basic Pt's, hare's ears, and a variety of caddis patterns will catch fish.

Thank you. I also have a new castle address. I fish the nesh and slippery rock a lot.

Back