Little J

S

smeador

Evening. I am coming up from VA May 1, 2, 3 and 4 to fish the Little J for my first time. I have done the usual internet search - hatch charts, fly shops, maps, Google Earth, etc... Gonna be staying in the Green Hills Campground.

I'm asking/looking for info I might have overlooked. Any good local hideouts that I need to hit for lunch or dinner? Beverage stores close by? Any fishing input would be good...

Thank you in advance...

BNM

Food:

Main St. Cafe in Alexandria or OIP Pizza in Petersburg if you are on the east side of the mountain/gorge. These are both pretty close to Green Hills. These are pretty much my two favorites for food in the area. main Street servers alchohol BTW.
Also Rt. 22 Diner on Rt. 22 but I've never eaten there.

Spruce Creek Tavern in Spruce Creek if you are on the west side of the mountain/gorge.

Also several options in Tyrone area including another OIP if you are fishing the upper river.

Fast food, walmat and more in Huntingdon which is a not all that far away.

Beer Distributor:

There is a distributor a couple miles east of the 45/453 & Rt. 22 (Waterstreet) intersection on on Rt 22. pretty close to Greene Hills.
You can also get six packs at the bars or the VFW in Petersburg.

recommend checking back with the LJRA forum a week before.
I suggest you apply for an account by emailing the president soon. It takes a little while for it to activate. Joining the association is a great idea too

The river will be teaming with sulphur nymphs

I've often seen sulphers hatching there the first week of may. I would be packing some dries too

Private message sent

Kev nailed most of it.

Def need a night at the Main St. Café. If you go on a Fri/Sat it will be very crowded.

If you are taking beers to Green Hills keep them low, I think it is non-alcoholic but they just ask you keep it concealed and quiet.

You'll love it! Perfect time to be up there.

Get the fresh cut fries at the Spruce Creek Tavern.

And highly recommend the LJRA.org site. Bill Anderson offers a free river tour with a life membership, which is only $100!

TDB wrote:
If you are taking beers to Green Hills keep them low, I think it is non-alcoholic but they just ask you keep it concealed and quiet.

We had a quiet evening sipping some brews without knowing of any adverse policy against alcohol among adults. But we watched our language and were not bothered.

Don't go to Green Hills to party-hardy, because that would be disrespectful, imo.

Not going to party hard at all!!! Might have an apple ale or two before turning in each evening. I'm coming to see and explore the river first, possibly catch a fish or two, eat some good food, share my love of casting flies and camping with my sweetheart - and have a plain old good time for 4 days!

Might even take a mid-day trip to explore some caverns! Thank you everyone for your comments and pointers! I'll head over to the LJRA site now. Thanks again!!!

Sandy

smeador wrote:

Might even take a mid-day trip to explore some caverns! Thank you everyone for your comments and pointers!

Indian Caverns is superior to Lincoln Caverns. Indain Caverns is much more interesting. More to see and more history and lore associated with that cave. They also have a bunch of huge trout trout you can feed in Spruce Creek and a couple hundred yards of stream that you can fish for a modest fee. (A bit cheesy due to the feeding though and the stream section is not the best in terms of holding water.)

Kev

PennKev wrote:
smeador wrote:

Might even take a mid-day trip to explore some caverns! Thank you everyone for your comments and pointers!

Indian Caverns is superior to Lincoln Caverns. Indain Caverns is much more interesting. More to see and more history and lore associated with that cave. They also have a bunch of huge trout trout you can feed in Spruce Creek and a couple hundred yards of stream that you can fish for a modest fee. (A bit cheesy due to the feeding though and the stream section is not the best in terms of holding water.)

Kev

That's funny Kev.
I had my granddaughter out to the area a few years ago. And took her to both places.
She thought indian caverns was kinda boring, and liked lincoln caverns better.
Just a kids point of view...........

Haha, yeah I wasn't trying to be very serious. They are both classic tourist traps, but pretty cool to see if you are in the area.

Thanks for everyone's info. I can't wait to get up there and throw a line. Any last minute pointers or info?

Thanks again and maybe I'll run into a few of you. I'll be in a white Suburban w/stickers on the back and side glass.

please respect the landowners. Especially the woman who owns the yellow house near spruce creek

THANK YOU to all that helped me get ready for this trip! I'm leaving at first light and gonna have a blast. No matter what the water conditions are, I'll at least get to explore!

I got great info on the stream and insects, places to eat, places to visit and places to get local brews. THANKS everyone.

I'm in a white Suburban, VA tags, stickers all over the back and side glass. Stop and say hello...

I have a feeling the river is going to be up. Be safe.

Back