Little J in the Winter

G

gonefishin243

Hi Everyone!
I am going to be in the Central Pa region in the next week or so and was planning on stopping at the Little J for a few hours in between traveling. I usually only get to fish it in the spring and have never experienced it in the winter. I was just wondering if anyone has had any luck this time of the year on the little J. Just try to get an idea on what all to have on my fly box!
Thanks for any suggestions! I'm all ears!

It should fish well.

We've had some rain and snowmelt so water levels should be good - probably typical of what you'd expect to see in April. I'd fish it with the same methods, maybe go a bit lower and slower... but the standard nymph rigs in predictable places should work. Some BWOs or midges might show up, but it will probably be a nymph or streamer game.

There's a myth that trout are only found in deep, slow pools this time of year. However, although there does tend to be more fish in deeper spots, many winter fish are in the same runs, boulder pocket water, and tail-outs where you would expect to find them in early spring. This is especially true on limestone streams. So don't pass up fishy looking spots that produce well in springtime. Work 'em a little slower, deeper, and more methodically and hopefully you'll find willing fish.

Eggs, green weenies, pt nymphs...

Thanks for the advice Fishidiot and Tiogadog!

Gone,
Water levels are pushing 1000 CFS today following the rain. Might be good in a couple days, but with the higher water and cold temps lately, I'd definitely fish low and slow

Thanks for the advice Fishidiot!
We got for a couple hours and did ok. Caught a couple here and there. Water level was great!

Back