Little J in the Summer Time

MD_Gene

MD_Gene

The Little J in the summer time. Sounds like a song. Anyway, I have never fished there in the summer. Can anyone provide insights as to water temps, locations to try, to avoid? Is there a trico hatch?

Thanks in advance.

Take a thermometer. Obviously, areas below cold water springs or tributaries would be best. I always believed a fish healthy enough to rise is healthy enough to catch. If it comes in like a dirty old rag, go elsewhere.

Regardless of temps, get there early and fish it hard in the mornings. Once the spring time hatches wrap up the best fishing is generally from sun-up until 11:00 AM or so. Expect a mix of different sizes and colors of caddis, blue quills, midges, and tricos to varying degrees depending on location. Slate drakes will also start to show up in good numbers as the summer goes on. With the exception of some slate drakes, go small, even with the caddis.

There is a lot made of not fishing when the water is warm. It's pretty simple for me, if it's hot, the fishing is going to suck. So I don't bother. That said, if daytime highs are in the low 80's and night times lows are in the mid 60's or lower, I would not hesitate to fish the LJR. On, the other hand if it's been in the 90's for a week, you are probably going to have a crappy day.

Kev

If it's too warm, you could always drive over to spring creek and fish below Bellefonte. That section of stream is pretty much always cold.

I have seen water temps get over 70 there in the summer - with fish stacked up at the mouths of tribs and springs. That's when I head to spring creek.

And fish will still rise in water over 70 for sure. So, I wouldn't use that as a gauge as to whether it's still a good idea to fish for them.

becoming a life member of the little juniata river assoc (little juniata.org) gets you a ~4hr river tour/fishing trip from the president. During the tour he will indicate areas that are best to fish during each season, including the summer. Clearly, some areas are much better than others in the summer. Not just because of water temps, but other factors too.
A rule of thumb is the section between limestone road and Spruce creek is fishable unless we have very low water and extended high in the 90s during the day and mid 60s lows.
Remember, the evening lows are most important contributor to rising water temps. High low temps (63-70) mean humid air. This makes a blanket over the water, which reduces evaporative and radiative cooling of the waters in the evening. This leads to a build up of temperatures.

nymphingmaniac wrote:

Remember, the evening lows are most important contributor to rising water temps. High low temps (63-70) mean humid air. This makes a blanket over the water, which reduces evaporative and radiative cooling of the waters in the evening. This leads to a build up of temperatures.

That's the stuff right there that makes you guys awesome. Good stuff!

The Little J has been pretty tough the last few days. While water temps are still relatively low, the fishing has been a little slow. I was down Thursday evening and hardly avoided the skunk. Rises were very sporadic. The high sun and clear water is making it tough. Try to stay in the shadows. The fish are staying low and nymphing was most productive for the guys I talked to. Up near the quarry was most productive for me. There is a pretty good canopy over the river there so it makes sneaking around a little easier.

Railking wrote:
The Little J has been pretty tough the last few days. While water temps are still relatively low, the fishing has been a little slow. I was down Thursday evening and hardly avoided the skunk. Rises were very sporadic. The high sun and clear water is making it tough. Try to stay in the shadows.

This describes Yellow Breeches this week as well. Very similar conditions and situation. Still good conditions but tough fishing.

I'm actually working in Mount Holly Springs for the next two weeks. I'm hoping to get out after work a few evenings but it looks like its going to be a scorcher the next week.

Back