Little J Advice

M

mote1977

I’m planning on heading to the Little J for the first time on Wednesday. I see the flow is around 350 right now. Is it wadeable/fishable at that flow? My plan was to start at the lower end of the gorge and work my way upstream. Is there a parking area at the lower end or would a different stretch be a better option with the flow how it is?

At 350 it will seem slightly high. You can wade safely, but you may want to be careful trying to cross the current. You can park at the Rothrock State Forest lot at Barree and walk up if you choose.

Additional rain expected today, so check the gauge in the morning.

350 is roughly the upper limit for OK conditions but definitely difficult wading for most people. At any rate, I doubt it will be at that flow on Weds. after today's rain and more in the forecast for tonight. Keep watching the USGS, if the graph spikes more than a couple hundred CFS, it's probably not going to be all that great for Weds.

As for the gorge, there is plenty of parking. There is a large parking area just inside the state forest at the lower end.

The Little J is well over 1000cfs and rising rapidly from the rain last night. Here is a link to the gauge for you to monitor >
LJ Flow

It is doubtful the LJ will be fishable by Wednesday. Hopefully your plans are flexible.

It won't be fishable until at least the end of the week - providing it doesn't rain anymore
And more precip is forecast

Thanks for the info everyone. Looks like I’ll be heading elsewhere.

Back