Lititz run

Jessed

Jessed

Any info on lititz run? It's in Lebanon county correct? It didn't say it was stocked? I see people on YouTube fishing it, looks like a limestoner? And also runs through farmland! Mostly private? Do fish hold over?

No. Lancaster County. Some of it is stocked by DTU I think. Some of it you have to have a badge from Donegal Trout Unlimited to fish. There are others on here that know way more about it.

I think you could get a badge from Lebanon Levi to fish it too.

I will break it down into sections for you.

Section 1 - From the headwaters downstream to Riparian Park. This area runs from Lititz Springs Park downstream through town. It is channelized, is cold enough to fish but access is difficult and not pretty to fish. Also hardly any fish hold here due to poor habitat. There is a section of this that is posted beside the Lititz Sportsman Association's hatchery. Look elsewhere.

Section 2 - Riparian Park is stocked by the club. It has nice habitat but gets pounded by anglers and virtually all the fish get yanked out.
Sometimes you will get a holdover rouge this time of year but its likely not worth it. This section certainly stays cold. You will know when you reach the end by the posted signs.

Section 3 - The Banta Property is a large section that looks everything like a classic spring creek and it holds fish. Entirely posted. Dont fish here.

Section 4 - Millport Conservancy is a badge only C&R area. If you are a member of TU you can buy a year pass for something like 20 bucks. It was restored, has great habitat, gets stocked and the water runs cooler. Wonderful area to fish if you buy the badge.

Section 5 - From the end of the conservancy downstream to the beginning of the C&R area. Area has ok habitat but generally poor. Open fields with shallow water and electric fences including farm animals. There is at least one bull to watch out for, but he has been friendly thus far. . IMO not worth fishing but I have caught some of the rouge fish that leave the conservancy here. You will have to park in the lower C&R area and walk the whole way up. generally not worth your time. The water begins to really warm here on hot days.

Section 6 - The C&R area. This area can be good at the right time of year. This is probably not a good time as I would imagine it would be too warm for C&R fishing. Good habitat and restored.

Section 7 - Below the C&R area to the mouth. Mix of open and posted land. Habitat is fair to good. Fish will move down here but again it is likely warm.

Wild Rainbows have been turning up from what I hear but not in the numbers that make it an excellent wild trout fishery. Maybe one day.
Hope I helped. If I was you. Id fish somewhere else.

Yeah I wasn't gonna fish it now! Just looking for info for the future, thanks!

Send me a PM whenever you are coming to town. I can give you more detailed advice on where to park and what to try.
I'm not sure what part of SEPA you live in but we do have some nice limestoners that are wild fisheries and some are less fished.
I'd be happy to direct you to those if that was your goal.

Yeah ive been intrigued with limestoners for a bit! I live in Exeter just outside of reading! I appreciate it sal!

Sal pretty much nailed it. I fish it every week or two. The water temps have been ok but I focus mostly in the conservancy section. That section is very tight so if you get a badge be prepared to lose several flies each time out. The conservancy section down through the c&r sections get hammered with pressure and can be pretty tough to fish. This summer the water color has been various shades of brown with all the rain we have been receiving. If you want to .50 cent tour some time let me know. I can show you around the lower c&r sections or the conservancy section if you get a badge.

Also another warning is right now there is a lot of vegetation in the water so you have to be prepared to clean off you flies just about ever other cast.

Also to add Sal I did catch a native rainbow about a week ago. It through me off. I had to look twice because I thought it was another chub.

what a great post Sal.

I can't look at that title without thinking of the snl jeopardy skit with "let it snow", if you haven't seen it you should.

SNL jeopardy

Do you have to belong to a certain chapter of Tu to be eligible? Or any chapter?

Jessed wrote:
Do you have to belong to a certain chapter of Tu to be eligible? Or any chapter?

You have to be a member of Donegal TU or the Millport Conservancy itself to purchase a button. Personally have never fished Lititz Run and live very near it. Nothing about it appeals to me.

Who stocks the Conservancy stretch?

Not sure.

But I believe those fish are purchased by DTU for the fly on the run tournament.
I could be wrong though.

McSneek wrote:
Jessed wrote:

You have to be a member of Donegal TU or the Millport Conservancy itself to purchase a button. Personally have never fished Lititz Run and live very near it. Nothing about it appeals to me.

So I can just go there and buy one?

Jessed wrote:
McSneek wrote:
Jessed wrote:

So I can just go there and buy one?

You would have to join the Millport Conservancy if you're not a DTU member which I'm not even sure you can do without some association with F&M College. Millport has a website. Check there for details. Looks like you may have to fork over a minimum of $50 to support the Conservancy. I know it's not far for you but there has to be other options for you within reasonable driving distance.

I also think they only sell a certain number of buttons each year and they may sell out.

So, fishing in the actual Lititz Spring Park is allowed? It seems improbable, but I saw no signs saying so (spotted a few fish while walking with my daughter).

Not that park

Go downstream below lititz

Thanks. I figured as much, but saw no signs - a rarity in this age.

Back