Lititz Run Hatch 4-14-13

jeremymcon

jeremymcon

Was anybody on Lititz run around noon today (4-14-13)? I saw some yellowish mayflies hatching around then. Not a huge hatch, but enough to get even the larger trout to pay attention. I even saw a small carp jump out of the water to take one.

Does anybody know what the name of the mayfly was? Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures... Hoping somebody else saw them today. They were yellow, and it seemed like the casings they emerged from were brightly colored too - green or yellow colored. Before I realized what they were I thought somebody upstream of me was fishing with chartreuse powerbait or something.

Unfortunately, I didn't have any dries that even came close to their color, so I didn't end up catching any trout. Did manage to catch a bluegill at least... It was painful to watch a big brown trout rising to those yellow mayflies, and not be able to do anything about it!

Probably an early out of place sulfur hatch. How big were they?

I was. I fished it from 11-3 in the C&R area.

Didn't see any yellow mayflys but later when I came back Tim and I saw some mayflies that I'm sure were some sort of Baetis. I did see lots of Tan caddis and a Sculpin hatch ;-)

There was some yellowish mayflies hatching this evening on the Donegal also. Trout did not seem to interested. I would guess about size 14

I saw yellow stoneflies on Hammer Saturday night. Put on a yellow sally and nailed a couple brookies.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
I saw yellow stoneflies on Hammer Saturday night. Put on a yellow sally and nailed a couple brookies.

Why? You and I both know brookies hit cigarette butts. Did you really have to change flies? Lol

InTheMend wrote:
Probably an early out of place sulfur hatch. How big were they?

Even more likely that it was some new hybrid pellet fly.

If the body was yellow and the wings were dun (blue-grey) and they were about size 14, that sounds like the big early sulphurs.

The date is earlier than they hatch here in central PA, but hatches generally are quite a lot earlier in southern PA than here.

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
I was. I fished it from 11-3 in the C&R area.

Didn't see any yellow mayflys but later when I came back Tim and I saw some mayflies that I'm sure were some sort of Baetis. I did see lots of Tan caddis and a Sculpin hatch ;-)

Hah! Yea I'm pretty sure I talked to you briefly. You were fishing a sculpin, and said you missed a really big trout under a willow tree, right? You were there with your daughter, right? I never did see that fish.

Yea the yellow mayflies were about size 14. Not completely sure that's what the fish were eating... Could have been the caddis. I did see quite a few of those too.

I was on a limestoner in the cv area yesterday and saw these yellow bugs. I caught one in my hand but it did not look like a sulphur and had no tails. but what do i Know. Threw on a yellow stimulator and the fish lookd up for it.

SBecker wrote:
The_Sasquatch wrote:

Why? You and I both know brookies hit cigarette butts. Did you really have to change flies? Lol

Usually you are correct. This was one of the rare times when I actually had to match something! I couldn't get any risers on my other fly.

Could this yellow Mayfly with no tail possibly have been a yellow Crane Fly? Wouldn't it be very very early for a large sulfur mayfly?

Yep that was me. My daughter absolutely loved it out there.
She calls it:
"Fishing spot without a playground" :lol:
She said it was her favorite.

Are you sure it was a mayfly and not some sort of leaf hopper.
I see those things over there anytime I go in the spring and summer.
leafhopper_aquayellowwings1.jpg

Luke could be right also, craneflies were buzzing every where out there that day. Its a bit early for Lititz to have sulphurs and way too early for the Cahills.

Oh and that brown is there. He hugs that bank real tight, he was likely sulking from getting temporarily stung by me.

Types of aquatic insects

Attachments

• caddisfly.jpg
    caddisfly.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Cranefly.jpg
    Cranefly.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Mayfly.jpg
    Mayfly.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 2
  • stonefly.jpg
    stonefly.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 2
Afish, #3 is similar to what I saw on the donegal. I did not count for tails but there were some.

Relying on my memory I can't completely rule out a yellowish leaf hopper, but it doesn't seem quite right. Definitely wasn't a crane fly though - shorter legs and body that that picture.

I'm glad to know about the leaf hoppers though - there was a big brown cruising up and down the bank at one point and occasionally (and aggressively) taking something from right along the bank. He wouldn't take an ant pattern... Next time maybe I'll try something that looks a little like a leaf hopper.

I was out down here in Southeast PA and on Saturday we came across a really nice hatch of Hendricksons. The female Hendrickson is sort of a drab yellow color when it emerges, so I'm not sure if that is what you were seeing? The fish were taking them quite well down here with the warm weather...

Back