Lick Run, Howard,PA

grouse11

grouse11

Okay, so I was looking and noticed that it is a class a stream. Using the google earth class a app, I am able to see the boundaries of the class a section. Being that our cabin is pretty close to it, I was thinking maybe I'll hit it up this fall. However, I know nothing about the stream access in the area. If anybody can give me some info as to where I can park/fish, I would really appreciate it.

My brother killed a deer there. We used to fish it a little when kids about 15 or so years ago. The trout literally live under your feet. The banks cut WAY under. I can remember walking along the creek with a stick and jamming it in the ground and watching the trout scurry out from under the bank. There's fish there but very tough to fish because its so small.

It's a limestoner with some nicer fish than you would expect for such a small stream. And I agree, in one stretch the undercut banks are key components of the habitat.

I've fished it from time to time over the years and have had some decent fishing.

But it seems to me that the base flow of the stream is not nearly as good as it used to be.

Anyone fish lick run recently? Looking to go there here in the fall sometime and I'm looking for some recent reports and recommendations.

PM grouse

I grew up about 25 yards from Lick Run. The creek ran through my back yard in the borough of Howard. As a child I used to fish there the first morning of Trout season. The local parents would all chip in and stock the stream for the kids. A few local fly fishermen wanted to make it a Trophy Trout Stream. They succeeded and enjoyed it for a few years. Now they do not even fish. It does have some nice brown trout in it. My house was around 1000 to 1500 yards upstream from where it empties into Sayers Dam. For trout the best fishing is 500 to 2000 yards from where it originates. It comes out of an abandoned limestone quarry. Nobody is sure how deep the quarry is, but the water coming out of it stays nice and cold all summer long. I would break it up into 3 sections. The first being 1 to 2 miles. This is the beginning stretch that runs along side the mounting and has a field on the other side. I think this is the best. Then the next 3 miles or so goes between two mountains. This area stays shaded pretty much all of the time. Then it goes through the town of Howard. Route 26 pretty much run along the stream for the first 3 to 5 miles. Then is enters the town of Howard where is goes under 2 bridges and a railroad bridge. There are some deep holes in the stream, some 3 to 5 feet deep. It does support wild trout and there is also used to be a great Sucker run years ago. I have not fished it for a few years, but my dad looks at it everyday and says he does not see as many trout as he used to. He talked to a guy 2 days ago who was fishing and he said he didn't catch anything. Let me know if you need information on access sites. For the most part the property owners along the creek are nice and will let you access it. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info Matt, look forward to checkin it out this summer PM

Hey all,

I know it is an older post, but this needs an update especially since, if one Googles "fly fishing in Howard PA", this forum entry is the first thing that comes up.

Anyhow, a friend and I went up there this Saturday morning based on what we read on here. Both of us too, are avid fans of small water.

Now, having said that... Lick Run is far too small to even consider small water, at least with how it appears today. We followed the stream from the bridge in town all the way to the quarry. It was barely more than a trickle at any point along the way.

I'm under the understanding that the eastern part of PA is in a drought, and I don't know if it has affected Centre County, or if the state of Lick Run has more to do with the active quarry downstream from town, along route 26.

I'd wish we'd taken a couple pictures. I'm sure Brendan, my friend; will follow-up my post here and corroborate my story, but it seems as though Lick Run is in a dire position.

Interesting...I'll have to go check this out. My brother and I used to fish it through that field section along the mountain with some success but that was probably 10 or more years ago.

Does anyone know if either quarry is active?

And has either quarry been pumping water?

(There are quarries on both headwater branches.)

This is a drought year, so you'd expect that flows would be low. But I noticed what seemed to me to be diminished flows back around 2004 or so and continuing up to the present.

Something doesn't seem right there regarding the flows. But I don't understand the situation.

The quarry appears to be active. There was recent landscaping and lots of trucks there. There's also some fences up.

I'm hoping that someone from Centre County can let us all know the score.

Please let us know what you find out, John.

Back