Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Lick Run, Howard,PA

From York, PA
Okay, so I was looking and noticed that it is a class a stream. Using the google earth class a app, I am able to see the boundaries of the class a section. Being that our cabin is pretty close to it, I was thinking maybe I'll hit it up this fall. However, I know nothing about the stream access in the area. If anybody can give me some info as to where I can park/fish, I would really appreciate it.

Posted on: 2012/9/18 22:09

Re: Lick Run, Howard,PA

From Lock Haven, PA
My brother killed a deer there. We used to fish it a little when kids about 15 or so years ago. The trout literally live under your feet. The banks cut WAY under. I can remember walking along the creek with a stick and jamming it in the ground and watching the trout scurry out from under the bank. There's fish there but very tough to fish because its so small.

Posted on: 2012/10/8 20:01

It's a limestoner with some nicer fish than you would expect for such a small stream. And I agree, in one stretch the undercut banks are key components of the habitat.

Posted on: 2012/10/17 22:07

I've fished it from time to time over the years and have had some decent fishing.

But it seems to me that the base flow of the stream is not nearly as good as it used to be.

Posted on: 2012/10/17 23:50

From Lock Haven
Anyone fish lick run recently? Looking to go there here in the fall sometime and I'm looking for some recent reports and recommendations.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 15:55

From Hunker
PM grouse

Posted on: 6/15 17:34

From Central/Upstate New York (Clinton)
I grew up about 25 yards from Lick Run. The creek ran through my back yard in the borough of Howard. As a child I used to fish there the first morning of Trout season. The local parents would all chip in and stock the stream for the kids. A few local fly fishermen wanted to make it a Trophy Trout Stream. They succeeded and enjoyed it for a few years. Now they do not even fish. It does have some nice brown trout in it. My house was around 1000 to 1500 yards upstream from where it empties into Sayers Dam. For trout the best fishing is 500 to 2000 yards from where it originates. It comes out of an abandoned limestone quarry. Nobody is sure how deep the quarry is, but the water coming out of it stays nice and cold all summer long. I would break it up into 3 sections. The first being 1 to 2 miles. This is the beginning stretch that runs along side the mounting and has a field on the other side. I think this is the best. Then the next 3 miles or so goes between two mountains. This area stays shaded pretty much all of the time. Then it goes through the town of Howard. Route 26 pretty much run along the stream for the first 3 to 5 miles. Then is enters the town of Howard where is goes under 2 bridges and a railroad bridge. There are some deep holes in the stream, some 3 to 5 feet deep. It does support wild trout and there is also used to be a great Sucker run years ago. I have not fished it for a few years, but my dad looks at it everyday and says he does not see as many trout as he used to. He talked to a guy 2 days ago who was fishing and he said he didn't catch anything. Let me know if you need information on access sites. For the most part the property owners along the creek are nice and will let you access it. Hope this helps.

Posted on: 6/20 8:43

From Hunker
Thanks for the info Matt, look forward to checkin it out this summer PM

Posted on: 6/21 19:30
"Ours is the grandest sport. It is an intriguing battle of wits between an angler and a trout; and in addition to appreciating the tradition and grace of the game, we play it in the magnificent out-of-doors."
~ Ernest G. Schwiebert, Jr.

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com