License requirements for fishing the Potomac

M

mav1958

Hello,

I can't seem to find an answer on the VDGIF website, so I thought I would try here. I see there are some members from Maryland and Virginia and they may have dealt with this problem.

If I am visiting Leesburg, Virginia and would like to fish the Potomac, do I need a Maryland non-resident license or will a Virginia non-resident suffice?

Thanks in advance

Either license will do. Here are the relevant regs from the Maryland DNR:

A resident of Virginia possessing a valid Virginia nontidal fishing license issued in that resident’s name may fish in nontidal waters of the mainstem of the Potomac River opposite the shore of Virginia.

A resident of Virginia possessing a valid Virginia saltwater fishing license issued in that resident’s name may fish any portion of the tidal waters of Maryland, so long as they have obtained a Maryland Saltwater Angler Registration.

A resident of Maryland possessing a valid Maryland Nontidal Sport Fishing License issued in that person’s name can fish from the Virginia banks of the Potomac River opposite the shore of Maryland without a Virginia fishing license.

Any holder of a valid Maryland Chesapeake Bay & Coastal Sport Fishing License may fish in Virginia tidal saltwater, regardless of residency, so long as they have obtained a Virginia Saltwater Angler Registration.

Leesburg is, of course, non-tidal.

I found this on the VDIF site:

Upper Potomac River [above Little Falls (upper border with the District of Columbia) to the West Virginia border/state line]: Resident anglers with state freshwater licenses in Virginia or Maryland may fish the Potomac River and from both banks.

Link to source: https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/regulations/reciprocal-licenses/

If you plan to fish the Upper Potomac, it looks like either license will be legal.

Yes a VA non resident works, as long as you aren't fishing the part upriver from Harper's Ferry where the river is the border between MD and WV (obviously).

An appropriate Virginia license is valid on the Potomac (either side) from Harper's Ferry down to the Chesapeake Bay; from Harper's Ferry upriver, a West Virginia license is valid on either side of the river. A Maryland license is valid throughout.

Back