Letort

PaulR

PaulR

I've been thinking about fishing the Letort - after all I live close enough to it now that I could spend a whole day there. Anyone have any wisdom they could share about the Letort - is it worth it, if there was a better alternative in the area what would it be and if it is worth it what area of the Letort would be the best to fish?

PaulR wrote:
I've been thinking about fishing the Letort - after all I live close enough to it now that I could spend a whole day there. Anyone have any wisdom they could share about the Letort - is it worth it, if there was a better alternative in the area what would it be and if it is worth it what area of the Letort would be the best to fish?

I have never been disappointed spending a day fishing the Letort; yet I have been skunked there fishing, many times.

Fishing the Letort is a unique experience. If you are travelling there with the expectations of catching numbers and/or big fish, chances are you may be disappointed.

If you are going there to check out the uniqueness of the stream, the Letort will not disappoint.

If you plan to spend a whole day, I suggest you check out each section: the upper / meadow section, the middle section, as well as the lower Letort. They are all quite different from each other; it's almost like fishing another stream.

Enjoy and good luck, if you go.

A visit to the Letort is always worth it - every PA FFer needs to make the pilgrimage.

Worth it? Well, go there with an open mind. It's not about catching fish. In fact, don't be surprised if you don't see any fish at all (hint: sit in one spot and watch the water). The banks are wet and can sometimes be a tough slog during summertime, I like a wading staff for the wet meadows. Winter can be easier to fish as weeds and meadow grass are less. The stream is just physically tough to fish. Please avoid wading on the few gravel areas in Nov-Mar as these are managed spawning areas.

My main advice for Cumberland Valley newbies is to understand that the fish in our famous limestoners are mainly bottom feeders. You might get lucky and find rising fish, but don't expect it.

There is a lot written on the forum about Letort. Use the Advanced Search to read up on Letort.

Thanks afish and Dave.

Definitely have no expectations (high or low), and will just take what the stream gives me. I think if anything its more about experiencing this place. And definitely will be mindful of spawning areas.

Just a quick question I forgot to ask last night in regard to the Letort - I've cross section of it on the Turnpike - is that stretch accessible and is it good trout water?

It's all good 'trout water,' Class A from headwaters mouth...but as mentioned above, some stretches fish much different than others. Go with open eyes and a bucket full of patience.

A good time to go is after it rains and the water is cloudy, fish the edges first, then worry about rising fish.

The first time I went to the Letort I caught a few fish on scuds in faster broken water (which there is not much of). Good luck.

Likely that's the sort of the approach I would take to be quite honest. Not sure if I have the line manipulation skills to keep a perfect drag free float from top to bottom in the water I am working. Understand too the Letort has some tricky currents.

Back