HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Letort colors

From Westmoreland/Tioga
Quote:

geebee wrote:
... so somewhere somehow a bit of char got in there....

I don't think that is possible.

Posted on: 1/29 12:40

From Stroudsburg (Poconos)
Good info. Makes sense although I've never caught a wild Pocono brown with as much red in the tail as the Letort brown from Monday (no matter what season). The attached picture didn't do justice since it had to be downsized for posting. Beautiful fishery and I love all of the access there is on the Letort and Big Spring. I scouted BS today but it was 10 degrees so I scouted strictly with my DSLR. Most of the trout were rainbows I saw in the FFO section. I saw a lot of brookies but the larger trout appeared to be all rainbows. Are there many browns in BS as well? What makes BS a good rainbow fishery and Letort a brown fishery? What differences do they have?

Posted on: 1/29 16:58

From Gettysburg
Quote:

Millsertime wrote:
Are there many browns in BS as well? What makes BS a good rainbow fishery and Letort a brown fishery? What differences do they have?

There are still a few, mostly very large, browns left in upper BS....however, they are disappearing.
Why BS allows brooks and bows to thrive whereas browns like Letort is a matter of debate. I have some theories but, ultimately, these streams... just are what they are. It's part of their mystique and capacity to provoke wonder and love in our hearts.

Posted on: 1/29 22:54

What are your theories? I love theories.

Posted on: 1/29 23:15

From LV
Quote:

sarce wrote:
I'm not really up on my history of brown trout strains in PA, but even if they originally were all the same strain in a given body of water, over time variations in color and spot pattern will develop. I can think of many streams where some browns are Letort-esque and some are heavily spotted. Spring Creek, Valley Cr, and Thompson Run come to mind as limestoners where I've noticed this, but there are a few freestone streams in Chester county (and elsewhere I'm sure) that have great variety of patterns too.

Awesome fish btw. I have to get to the Letort soon!

Well there was a major effort to establish Loch Leven Trout in the Letort, because they were believed to be more willing to take dries, and they were'selective'. But generally it's a mistake to call any trout in PA a German Brown or a Loch Leven Trout, because the browns were brought in from all over Europe and mixed in a melting pot by fisheries biologists to get strains that grew fast in a hatchery environment. It's part of why there is so much variation in their appearance.

Posted on: 1/30 0:30

From Lancaster County
I'm going to go out on a limb and state that the Letort browns are no more unique in their coloration and spotting than any other wild browns. The reason I feel I am on a limb is I've never actually fished Letort; however, I have looked at dozens of pictures, most with comments where folks gush about the unique coloration and spotting of the fish. The gushing does more to identify the stream to me than the coloration and spots. Absent the comments about the uniqueness of the fish, I would not be able to ID the stream they came from. I've caught beautiful wild fish from limestoners and freestoners; some are sparsely spotted, some are densely spotted, most have red adipose fins (no trend either way between limestone/freestone), some are pale, some are bronze, some are butter, and in often, within the same stream, all of the above apply. Sometimes there are generalizations that can be made about drainages, but usually, there's variability.

Posted on: 1/30 9:46

From Mont Co, Pa
These are both freestone browns, one from NC and one from NE Pa. Both have a lot of red in the tails. I think it's pretty common.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_1636 (Custom).JPG (31.20 KB)
2119_52eaf434f29c4.jpg 460X345 px

jpg  IMG_0591 (Custom).JPG (29.02 KB)
2119_52eaf478efe7b.jpg 460X345 px

Posted on: 1/30 19:55

From State College
Where can one learn about the history of brown trout strains?

Posted on: 2/1 1:34

From down the block from the Letort.
There's a book out there titled The Compleat Brown Trout, lots of good info in it. You should be able to find it via the Google and Amazon.

Posted on: 2/3 8:26

From Gettysburg
Quote:

mario66pens wrote:
Where can one learn about the history of brown trout strains?

You would greatly enjoy Behnke's Trout and Salmon of North America. This is one of my favorite books and one that I use for reference on probably a weekly basis (and it's up to date - 2002) both for technical info as well as for the beautiful color illustrations by Joe Tomelleri.
Behnke's chapter on brown trout covers the different strains fairly well but he implies that the genetic differences were quickly lost in the US due to hatchery breeding in the late 1800s. He suggests that the only spot where genuine "German" browns are probably still extant is in Yellowstone NP in some isolated waters.

Posted on: 2/3 11:00

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I'd agree most of our fish are mixed, and there aren't many "pure" strains remaining. That said, I certainly do see genetic differences between streams, and find it likely that different mixes inhabit different streams. So some may be weighted more one way than the other.

I think it's more likely the different "mixes" are based on changes in the hatchery strains over time, and what you see in the streams may be a reflection of the hatchery strain at the time the stream was "seeded", or perhaps different hatcheries. In the old days they tended to stock fingerlings from train cars, and the sources may have varied.

Also, it's possible/likely there has been natural change via natural selection, further separating genetics in different drainages. To what extent I dunno. And of course, spot patterns and such are a mix of genetics and diet, so that "is it purely diet?" question sits in the back of one's head when contemplating this stuff.

Nonetheless it's very interesting to me.

Posted on: 2/3 14:07

I would agree with the suggestion of Robert Behnke's books. I have both "Trout and Salmon of North America" and "About Trout".

Posted on: 2/3 17:18
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

From Monessen, PA
Sorry for the bright flash:

Attach file:

jpg  LetortLevenBrown1.jpg (37.99 KB)
12_52f021c5c6472.jpg 479X264 px

Posted on: 2/3 18:10

Based on a previous life as an aquarium hobbyist for many years, I think the genetics and diet combine roughly like this:

To exhibit red coloration, a fish needs to be genetically disposed to show red in certain areas, have a diet containing the pigment astanaxathjn, which is common in crustaceans (scuds, crayfish, maybe some insect nymphs but not sure) and be "feeling good" where feeling good can be anything from dominant in the pecking order to simply not stressed out and in fear.

I think for browns that all comes together in the fall
Diet may also explain how the same genetic stock can have different appearance in different streams

Any explanation for the biology of dark coloration in pocono browns?

Posted on: 2/5 17:28

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com