Lehigh River

mutzinbaugh

mutzinbaugh

got a chance to hit the Palmerton area last weekend and found 2 nice riffs where I was able to land a brown and 2 bows. anyone have any other locations that you would recommend where there is faster runs for nymphing? I am not very familiar with the area but have a map :) any info is appreciated

Glad you caught some fish! I'll tell you what though, the pools between those riffs can have some good dry fly fishing.

Suggestion would the area above and downstream of where the Pohopoco dumps into the Lehigh. There is parking across the street from River Walcks. From there you can get down to the river and cross over.

Of course this depends on how aggressive of a wader you are, but anything less than 600cfs on the Lehighton gage is manageable with cleats and staff.

Unfortunately this weekend is a whitewater release. Below is what the Corps is forecasting to dump. Fortunately though this is the last one of the year. Finally!

Lehigh Basin:

F.E. Walter Dam: 1700 Sat, 1000 Sun

Well if you want to fish faster riffs, you can hit the Po confluence downstream, below Bowmanstown boat ramp a 1\4 mile. You really just to need to take a walk or a bike ride and explore.

thanks for confirming the water release vcregular. I heard about that but honestly forgot.

yea, it seems that all I have done in the last two/three years is exploring. some days it is a waste of time and other days very productive.

either way I can't fish the same area over and over again so it is always fun fishing new creeks and trying to catch a couple.

have you guys ever fished the little leghigh? do you like it better?

Compared to the Lehigh? They really are not comparable.

The Lehigh really takes some walking or biking to get to the best water. Luckily the rails and trails runs right next to it, so it is an easy walk. If you can not cross the Lehigh at the Po Confluence park at the 895 bridge and walk a mile up the path till you get to the turnpike bridge and fish down from there.

Agree, there really is no comparison between the Lehigh and little Lehigh.

One needs to be a adventurous with the Lehigh. There is a lot of good water to explore. Typically, Fall trout fishing can be finicky, but this year has been very good and the trout held over very well. But understand that there won't be a trout behind every rock or in every run.....hopefully some day!

If you want great nymphing water, take a trip up into the Gorge. Pocket water galore. If releases from FEW are less than 300 cfs, it should make for good wading conditions. Staff, studded boots and care are highly recommended.

Back