Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Lehigh River

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Kabut....that is because you are chasing the recent stockers down that way. They are not yet keyed into the hatches. imo

Have to find stretches of the river that hold over a good amount of fish.

Posted on: 2013/4/11 17:28

So if the dam cracks 1370, then inflow matches outflow right? There will be no controlled fishing release of 400 cfs maximum, correct? If this is correct, when will they announce this, anyone know if they will at all, or just let er' rip? Any information appreciated.

Posted on: 2013/4/12 9:53

Beast

You can check the following websites or facebook pages for FEW

http://www.nap-wc.usace.army.mil/nap/

https://www.facebook.com/fewalterdam

The facebook page is usually where the Corps will announce any last minute changes.

As of right now (11:45 AM), there is 8 feet of storage left before hitting 1370. The Corps plans on setting the release to 400 cfs at COB - 3pm

Inflow is around 675 CFS.... if inflow doesnt jump too much as a result of the rain, they have enough storage to maintain the 400 cfs through the weekend. I believe even if inflow jumps up to 800-900 cfs there should be plenty of room left.

But to answer your question directly about if the Corps will open the gates if they hit 1370....I HAVE NO FRIGGIN CLUE

According to the Corps, and they were very emphatic about this at the Fall meetings....any encroachment of storage above 1370 will be evacuated immediately.

Hope that helps.

Posted on: 2013/4/12 11:46

Thanks for the info LR. Facebook updating to keep people informed of the most up to the minute release,mm. I think they should do it on the main site, the fisherman are probably older and some people just don't like handing Zuckerberg their private data.

I thought the home pages of the profiles could be made public for recent updates to people without an account, dunno. Well, hopefully people take their kids to the Lehigh up high where it is stocked to get some fishing in if the flow is controlled. I'm not sure if I am going to go through the area or not to check out the number of people and get some exercise and fishing in.

Have you ever helped stock with the PFBC? I wonder if they let people take pick ups down the bike bath to spread fish around or if they just dump most at the bridges. They still stock fingerlings right? I think they must take something all the way down the road right at the outflow, or maybe they go down the gated road that runs parallel to the river and dump in there, dunno.

Posted on: 2013/4/12 12:21

I personally never helped the PFBC stock the below the dam down to Sand run.

The PFBC was suppose to stop stocking fingerlings last year, but apparently there was surplus fish, so they did another stocking last year again. No idea if they plan to stock again this year.

Posted on: 2013/4/12 13:48

I am looking at the stocking schedule and meeting place for the lower Lehigh(FEW to Sandy Run), and it is saying the next stocking is 4/16 meeting at Exit 273-White Haven-int. of I80 & SR940. I do not know precisely where that would be. I know where 940 runs across 1-80, maybe there is a parking area at exit 273? I would think they would meet at the bridge in White Haven at the entrance to the bike path. Anyone go to this stocking before and know if it is in an area exactly at exit 273?

That is quite a far way from the Oulet to the Dam. Maybe the FEW reservoir stocking hits right below the outflow and the access road below. It does say that for FEW stocking, one meeting place is FEW on 4/20, and FEW on 3/26 was exit 273 in White Haven and the other is Irena Lake meet-up to stock FEW on 5/7.

Posted on: 2013/4/12 15:14

Looks like the Lehigh is off the fingerling stocking list this year. Anyone know if it didn't meet some criteria threshold of reported caught clipped fish, or if it just got arbitrarily removed?

More cold water please, the tribs are the hatcheries.

Posted on: 2013/4/15 12:49

From PA and NH
As far as birds of prey, there are herons.

Posted on: 2013/4/16 7:46

The fingerling clipping program was only to be conducted for 5 years. 2011 was the last year that fin clipped fingerlings went into the river. The PFBC did stock "surplus" fingerlings last spring (2012) but they were not clipped. There may or may not be a fingerling stocking this year, but nothing is scheduled at this time.

Fishing Release Date Info - Update.

Next weekend the releases will be capped at 400 cfs and will last through out the weekend.

The following designated fishing release weekends the releases will be conducted as follows, IF inflow to FEW is above 400 cfs.

1AM Saturday the release will be cut to 400 cfs
1PM Saturday the release will be increased to match inflow if above 400 cfs

Same schedule for Sunday.

If inflow is below 400 cfs, the release will be set to match inflow.

Posted on: 2013/4/16 12:20

Wind is killing me on my favorite spot. Dang you Lehigh! Was anybody out on Sunday? I saw 3 boat float through.

Posted on: 2013/4/16 13:23

Not I. You saw three boats float through, or a boat with 3 ffmen in it? Yeah, the wind this time of year is a pain. May go now, not sure. Wanted to stock today to see what kind of distribution they get, too late now. You seeing any bugs coming off down there in numbers?

Posted on: 2013/4/16 14:19

3 different boat and yes numbers of caddis.

Posted on: 2013/4/16 16:14

From Luzerne County, PA
I saw some stoneflys and some BWO's the wind has been a pain, and the water is still very cold but I did see more activity on Tuesday than I did on Monday. I fished in White Haven and a couple miles upriver from Rockport

Posted on: 2013/4/17 18:08

Saw some pics from a buddy of mine who was on the LR today. Lets just say they slayed. Will get more details, but I am sure all fish were taken on top. This was the lower river - Bowmanstown and downstream. And no, these were not recently stocked fish. Holdovers/Wilds. Like any big water, it has its learning curve, but they are there.

Posted on: 2013/4/17 21:24

VC, time of day they were having the best luck, and I am guessing caddis?

Posted on: 2013/4/17 21:43

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com