Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Lehigh Gorge camping

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Lookin at a family trip with a 1 and a half year old and the in laws to the area. Not primarily a fishing trip, though I may get out some, but I already generally know the streams. So stream help isn't necessary.

Looking for a good campground for tents. So not looking for all the bells and whistles for RV's, or that feeling of being packed in like most RV parks do. Looking more for a spread out, woodsy feel. Primitive is ok but not required. This is about having the kiddo have his first camping experience.

In-laws are bikers (as in pedal bikes) and want reasonable access to the gorge trail (ok if we have to drive a short distance to do it, but no more than a few minutes). We may rent one of those caboose bike thingies and take the little guy too.

Which end of the trail is more scenic?

The public one we're looking at is Hickory Run. Anyone have a campground review on it? I've been to the park to fish but never seen the campground itself. Seems huge but nice based on reviews, with a nice sized tent only area that's fairly woodsy. I'm sure there's a billion private ones nearby, too. Any stand out?

Posted on: 2013/7/31 21:34

Re: Lehigh Gorge camping

I've camped at Hickory Run State Park in a tent, and I thought it was a very nice campground.

BTW, there is a "photo point" overlooking the gorge that is shown on the state park map. It looks over the river down a little ways from where Black (Hayes) Creek comes into the river.

I was there at dusk and the view upriver was stunning. It's worth taking a little time to check that out, and take your camera along.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 22:15

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap

Posted on: 2013/7/31 22:27

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Delaware River
Quote:

SBecker wrote:
Sunny Rest Campground

Edit: May be a good place to consider

Posted on: 2013/7/31 22:31

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Quote:

gaeronf wrote:
Quote:

SBecker wrote:
Sunny Rest Campground

Shane, that was the place you had your all-male birthday party at right? Sorry I couldn't come...

Ok....so now you have me confused......why would you be sorry you couldn't come to this made up all male birthday party? Lol O Gaeron

Posted on: 2013/7/31 22:35

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Delaware River
Quote:

SBecker wrote:
Quote:

gaeronf wrote:
Quote:

SBecker wrote:
Sunny Rest Campground

Shane, that was the place you had your all-male birthday party at right? Sorry I couldn't come...

Ok....so now you have me confused......why would you be sorry you couldn't come to this made up all male birthday party? Lol O Gaeron

The apology was sarcastic. Sometimes I try to be funny but I guess I should leave that to you and gfen? My apologies for taking this thread off topic!

Posted on: 2013/7/31 22:37

From Pittsburgh
I've camped at hickory run state park, and thought it was a nice place also. Didn't see any nudists - but there were lots of signs around urging campers to be careful with food, because of the many bears in the area. Made my wife a little uneasy

We biked the whole gorge - and it was all pretty nice from what I remember. And I also recall that the lehigh river was too warm for trout when we were there, in early sept. I did hit some smaller streams though

Posted on: 2013/7/31 23:29

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com