Laurel Hill Creek Between Humbert and the Dam

silfeid

silfeid

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has fished this more remote section of Laurel Hill Creek. The river mostly flows through State Gamelands 111 and a section of Forbes State Forest here. Access seems fairly difficult, at least without a good 4WD vehicle. I'm considering parking in the State Game Lands and walking in about a mile, to where Sandy Run flows in. I like getting out to places far from roads where you'll be fishing all by your lonesome.

If you look at a map, there's a very distinct oxbow in the river right there, forming a small peninsula - that's the general area I'm talking about. It seems to me that this section must see very little fishing traffic, and might hold some good-sized fish, especially since the length of the river is stocked, not just about the dam.

Anyone fished these more remote sections (including the several miles between this spot and the dam?)? Also, anyone know anything about Sandy Run? Looks like a pretty little run in a steep gorge, could hold some nice wee brookies, but I don't know about the water quality.

I also like fishing places that are away from the roads. Seems like a good idea. Go for it.

silfeid wrote:
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has fished this more remote section of Laurel Hill Creek. The river mostly flows through State Gamelands 111 and a section of Forbes State Forest here. Access seems fairly difficult, at least without a good 4WD vehicle. I'm considering parking in the State Game Lands and walking in about a mile, to where Sandy Run flows in. I like getting out to places far from roads where you'll be fishing all by your lonesome.

If you look at a map, there's a very distinct oxbow in the river right there, forming a small peninsula - that's the general area I'm talking about. It seems to me that this section must see very little fishing traffic, and might hold some good-sized fish, especially since the length of the river is stocked, not just about the dam.

Anyone fished these more remote sections (including the several miles between this spot and the dam?)? Also, anyone know anything about Sandy Run? Looks like a pretty little run in a steep gorge, could hold some nice wee brookies, but I don't know about the water quality.

It sounds like you've done some homework on these promising spots. Now it's time to get out there and do some exploring. Good luck.

Most trickles into Laurel Hill hold some gemmies.

Thanks guys. Guess I'll be footin' it out to Laurel Hill Creek then. I'll let you know how it goes.

I fished below the DHALO section in Humbert yesterday. caught 3 nice fish on nymphs. Not many bugs or rising fish, but that may change any day.

I think you're on the right track. I fished Laurel Hill frequently in the mid to late 1970s. My favorite part was the whole stretch from Lower Humbert covered bridge to King's Bridge, including the exact section you're talking about, and I usually had the river to myself, which is why I fished that section.

One thing to keep in mind about LHC is that it has a lot of unproductive water: flat, shallow, and featureless. Keep walking past these parts until you get to a rocky riffle, then stop and fish. You can see some of these rocky parts on satellite imagery.

There is also a deep hole near the south side of Ursina, and one of my favorite parts was the fairly deep run just downstream of this hole adjacent to what I call the Revolutionary War Cemetery. This is on the north bank and is surrounded by a stone wall that makes a perfect square. I used to do pretty well in this area when a caddis hatch was on. OTH, I visited that section a couple years ago and didn't catch a thing.

Let me know how it turns out.

I have wanted to to explore the area as well. It certainly does not get fished like the rest of the stream. Spent more time exploring the Casselman.

Back