Laurel Highlands sampler

Acristickid

Acristickid

Guess I have fallen into a pattern of fishing in and around Laurel Highlands in February and March then make runs to central PA in April and May.

Now I’ll probably fish the Laurel Highlands again. Not much of a fan of stocked fish and crowding but the crowds are starting to abate.

Fished Laurel Hill creek yesterday afternoon, it was very pleasant. There were a few bugs flying about but were too small for me to get a handle on what they were- but apparently were enough to produce sporadic risers. It was nice to have some dry fly targets.

There was some stream bank work in the upper project near the boy scout camp- been awhile since I was up that way and had not seen the work before. There is a newer parking lot there now too.

Saw about the half dozen anglers the couple hours I was there. Only landed two fish but at least there was some dry fly action and got at least a look from every riser I cast too and didn’t have to use a tiny fly so that was nice.

10 year old got bored so we ventured 15 minutes over to Kooser state park and fished the lake for a bit. The lake gets stocked as does Kooser Run that flows into and out of the lake. The lake also has bass, blue gill and a few large pike. Saw a large pike but was not interested in anyone’s offerings of maybe the 6 or so anglers. The blue gill were picky as they showed interest in my dry flies but did not eat.

Headed to the bottom of the spillway and threw a few files were I had caught a couple of stocked browns a month before but no luck.

Kooser is a small stocked stream and can be brushy. I used a green drake mainly so I could see my fly and had 2 swipes and landed a 6-7 inch stocker brown. Headed over the Laurel Mountain Inn on route 31 to eat dinner and wrap up the weekend.

Back