Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Landing a big fish on the letort

From Harrisburg
I dont know Tom. I'd rather use that size tippet on fish like that but this time of year, I do everything right and the fish approaches my fly and turns around and normally swims off into infinity. I swear they're spottin my line.
Spring and winter it doesnt seem to matter near as much.

Posted on: 2013/8/25 20:16

Re: Landing a big fish on the letort
From Chester County
Quote:

Squaretail wrote:
I dont know Tom. I'd rather use that size tippet on fish like that but this time of year, I do everything right and the fish approaches my fly and turns around and normally swims off into infinity. I swear they're spottin my line.
Spring and winter it doesnt seem to matter near as much.

Agreed Dan.

My go-to size tippet is 4x fluoro for typical nymphing. At the Letort I will go down to 5x with smaller nymphs or scuds and fish 3x with sculpins, streamers or buggers.

Typically my tippet is 5' to 6' long. I nearly always fish two nymphs but at the Letort I fish a single fly most times. The second fly will often snag onto the weeds and cause lost fish.

Like you mention above, when sight fishing underneath, you can judge the reaction of the fish. I'm of the belief that drag on the fly making it move unnaturally is more of a factor than the actual spotting of the tippet itself. A thinner tippet by 1000th of an inch is really not that less visible, IMO.

I find getting the weight of the fly just right to counteract the drag of the current on the line critical to getting a good drag-free drift...balancing the system, if you will.

A lot of guys start with gossamer tippets because they believe their lack is success is caused by visible line. They buy a spool of 7 or 8x rather then focusing on getting a good drift with a balanced rig and making the right approach and cast, as well as not lining a fish or spooking it. Just about every day I here the stories of the one that got away. Many of these guys weren't prepared and rigged to land a big fish. Bottom line, use the heaviest tippet you can to hook and land the fish.

Posted on: 2013/8/26 8:32

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com