Lake Wallenpaupack

evofly

evofly

I'm new to fly fishing but, loving every minute of it! The family and I are heading up to Lake Wallenpaupack this weekend for one last summer fling before the kids head back to school.

I've never fly fished the lake so am looking for some advise on patterns and maybe even some hints as to where to wet my line.

Thanks!

Hi Evofly,
Welcome to the Paff forums and our online community. If you haven't already noticed, we have a Beginner's Forum where fly fishing (FFing) newbies can ask questions or seek advice.
With respect to Wallenpaupack - I'm not from that part of the state and don't regularly fish it so can't offer specific spots. Oftentimes, in larger lakes and impoundments, fish tend to be deep this time of year. However, early morning or late evening can see fish a bit shallower. I'd try fishing a small popper around shoreline cover like fallen trees or lilly pads. This ought to get some sunfish or small bass. A pair of bead head or weighted nymphs fished deeper under a strike indicator might work too and would be more likely to get you some crappies or perch. Trout are probably too deep to chase with FFing gear.... but you should be able to find panfish and they're great fun on a fly rod.

Thanks for the reply. I've been surfing through the beginner's section for a few days now. Some really great info in there.

Thanks for the recommendations for the lake. My plan of attack was to hop in my kayak and work the banks from about 20 to 30 feet out casting in towards the bank. I figured I'd get some action, especially from panfish.

MY fly arsenal is not very big right now but, I do have some terrestrials, poppers and wooly buggers that I figured I'd try. I also have some smaller clouser minnows that I thought might work as well. I only have a 5wt rod I picked up from Cabela's at the moment. I believe the line is a floating line.

To target deeper fish how would you go about doing so? Sinking line with clousers?

leadcore with running line, fish are probally 40 feet or deeper..

evofly wrote:
Thanks for the recommendations for the lake. My plan of attack was to hop in my kayak and work the banks from about 20 to 30 feet out casting in towards the bank. I figured I'd get some action, especially from panfish.

MY fly arsenal is not very big right now but, I do have some terrestrials, poppers and wooly buggers that I figured I'd try. I also have some smaller clouser minnows that I thought might work as well. I only have a 5wt rod I picked up from Cabela's at the moment. I believe the line is a floating line.

To target deeper fish how would you go about doing so? Sinking line with clousers?

Evo,
Your plan of attack using a kayak is a good one and your flies will work fine. For deeper fish - yes, you could use a sinking line but it isn't necessary to fish a Clouser or nymphs at shallower depths. In shallower water, your floating line will work fine. However, the maximum depth you could fish would only be a few feet (maybe a bit more with some split shot that will pull the end of your fly line underwater). For fishing nymphs under an indicator, I'd use a long leader, perhaps 8' or 10' and use a strike indicator at the connection of your leader and fly line. This will allow your nymphs to get down 8' to 10' deep. Fishing deeper with FF gear is possible but requires sinking lines and I would recommend that, at this stage in your evolution as an FF, you avoid such specialty stuff. Deep water FFing in lakes really isn't very popular and the lines needed for such work are expensive and have limited uses.

Thanks Fish, I'm glad I'm sort of getting this whole FF thing. I'll have to grab an indicator and give that a shot. Where should the split shot go? Above the upper fly?

evofly wrote:
Where should the split shot go? Above the upper fly?

Yep - a few inches. You could also "drop shot" the split shot below the flies. I often do this when using heavier weight and multiple flies.

Back