Lake Marburg codorus state park

D

dryflyklesse

So the topic of salmon in the lake has been brought up in a pervious topic, but I have some questions now. First I know in 1995 17,000 adult cohos were stocked in there. Has there been any stocking since? I have also heard after poking into this from old timers that people were fishing for them a few years back. Now obviously they are using down riggers at 35-40 foot just like the big trout in there but do the salmon move to the small tribs to spawn still??

I haven't heard of anyone catching any out of there but I also haven't met anyone that has actually caught one of these 25" plus trout near the dam it is just my friend knows someone that does it like this kinda thing.

Me personally I would think if there was close to 20,000 adult cohos put in there some survived and some reproduced and there could be some today still. Lots of questions but what kind of info do you guys have for me, and if it is anything like the trout fishing at night there which seems to be a lot time secret pm me because I'm just curious at this point now.

Another thing how about the salmon in ray's town do they migrate to tributaries to spawn?

Another thing how about the salmon in ray's town do they migrate to tributaries to spawn?

i googled that exact thing on Sunday - the answer is yes and no. some say they don't some say they do.

i do know that LL Salmon can spawn in shallow shoals where there is enough wave action to keep the gravel clean and oxygenate the eggs.

I also know that even if they don't spawn in tribs in the fall, they will be in shallow water right after ice out in Spring - same as Lake Trout, Rainbows and Stripers, cos that's where the bait is.

Raystown does have Rainbow Smelt. Marburg doesn't.

Looking at Lake Marburg, i would definately try those Marina piers as soon as the ice breaks - any trout or char will cruise the ice line looking for food.

i'd also try the southern creek mouths (all of them) - if there are salmon still in the lake, thats when they'll show, the 2-3 weeks after ice out.

if they don't, they ain't in there !

there is reports of big bows though - which as the lake is 100ft behind the dam i'd think is possible.

Raystown is too far for me, but i might give Marburg a shot in the spring - i kind of like trying to catch rare difficult fish.

There are most likely none left in there. I think their life span is only around 5 years. I dont think the tributaries that feed marburg are ideal for the fish to get up in to spawn especially if the lake is drawn down.

Stranger things have happened but catching one these days would be the equivalent of hitting power ball in my opinion. I just cant imagine any were able to reproduce with the given conditions.

I have talked to guys targeting the rainbows out there and its typically a slow bite but there are some brutes in there.

Well I'm deffinetly interested in this topic so if you go out to try sometime send me a message ill swing over since I'm not far away if anything we can alway fish the creek below the dam in the tt waters

I would think that Josh is right sadly, but those bows will be cruising the shallows in spring.

i was also reading about Harvey lake - used to be a fantastic Lake Trout fishery, and that does have smelt in it too but not in the numbers it used too.

i'd think the deal will be the same - fish the piers and inflows.

dryflyklesse wrote:
Me personally I would think if there was close to 20,000 adult cohos put in there some survived and some reproduced and there could be some today still.

It's highly unlikely that any Cohos exist in Marburg today.

The salmon and lake trout in Raystown are stocked and, as far as I know, there is no spawning or spawning runs associated with them in that impoundment (although it might be possible to find them in or near tributaries, esp in springtime).

I just read this on the PFBC - stocking has ended on Lake Marburg - due to lack of Angler Interest....

Lake Marburg, York County

Adult trout stocking will be discontinued in this 1,275-acre lake due to low angler use. This water had been stocked on an inseason only basis.

Yes, it was terminated last year. Given the common life span of RT, however, a fishery should exist for about four to five years after stocking termination, with some fish continuing to live beyond that..

Back