Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Lackawanna river

From selinsgrove
My buddy and I are very good fly fisherman. We fished the lackawanna river today. I have read a lot about this stream and was prepared. We landed one fish between the two of us and it was on a streamer. We both tied everything we could think of on and in various sizes. Is there a go to setup for this stream? Neither of us can believe we only caught one fish all day. Thanks for the info guys.

Posted on: 9/6 18:05

Re: Lackawanna river

Where did you fish it?

Posted on: 9/6 18:08

It's been my experience that the fish move from season to season. I have not nailed down the pattern, but I find if I'm not catching fish within an hour or so in one section, it pays to move to another one.

So, troutbert's question is key.

Posted on: 9/6 18:17

From SEPA
Water temps might send them packing to cooler stretches, too. It may take time for fish to return to areas that got warm this summer?

Posted on: 9/6 18:49

From PA
River's been a pretty good temp all summer long to Ridge Ave. At least lower than normal years. The river level was really low this AM at daybreak though. Actually levels have been fluctuating a lot lately. Combine that with Sept being the worst month typically on the river and it's a tough time to introduce yourself to the place. It's a fickle River to say the least. Some days the trout are everywhere and others you'd swear it's the worst river of all time haha. Pay your dues and you'll be rewarded.

Posted on: 9/6 19:56

If someone came up to me to ask my advice on fishing a body of water and the first sentence out of their mouth was "my buddy and I are very good fly fishermen", my response would be " then why are you asking me for my help?".

Posted on: 9/6 21:05

afishinado wrote:

I find you very confrontational, offensive and have never seen more a glass-half-empty attitude.

From Delaware Water Gap
Quote:

BrookieChaser wrote:
If someone came up to me to ask my advice on fishing a body of water and the first sentence out of their mouth was "my buddy and I are very good fly fishermen", my response would be " then why are you asking me for my help?".

Ha! Maybe it should say "We're pretty OK fishermen without the patience to actually fish and learn about a body of water."

Or OP could just hire a guide and say "We're pretty OK rich fishermen who can catch fish that are found for us."

Posted on: 9/6 23:15

That's a little harsh. I think FF skill translates to new bodies of water....to a point. The Lack is unusual.

Posted on: 9/7 6:29

Quote:

Fly-Swatter wrote:
It's been my experience that the fish move from season to season. I have not nailed down the pattern, but I find if I'm not catching fish within an hour or so in one section, it pays to move to another one.

I agree about the movement. But also some sections hold much better trout populations than others in general, not just seasonally.

But the advice is the same, move around, try some different sections.

Posted on: 9/7 7:01

From Chester County
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
Quote:

Fly-Swatter wrote:

I agree about the movement. But also some sections hold much better trout populations than others in general, not just seasonally.

But the advice is the same, move around, try some different sections.

...or maybe the fish just weren't bitin' that day.

It never ceases to amaze me when guys go to a new place, have a bad day fishing, and write it off.

How many times have we fished a river or stream that we know very well, and holds many fish, yet we draw a blank.

Try other sections. If you fished in an area that has great water and habitat and is known to hold fish, try it again another day.

A&G Outfitters is located on the river. Before your next trip, ask them about current conditions, selecting a place to fish, as well tips on how to fish the river.

Good luck.

Posted on: 9/7 7:38

I agree with location. When I fish a new river or stream, the first day, I usually spend more time driving to check out different access areas than I do fishing. Even if I get lucky and get into fish right away, I usually end up trying different locations. For me, the saying "Don't leave fish to find fish" is much more easily said than done.

Posted on: 9/7 8:05

From Delaware Water Gap
Quote:

Fly-Swatter wrote:
That's a little harsh. I think FF skill translates to new bodies of water....to a point. The Lack is unusual.

Ah, I was just trying to rile them; if I had advice on the Lackawanna, I'd certainly offer it...

But I'd still give them shit for being flabbergasted at a rough fishing day in 80 degree Sept. Get real.

Posted on: 9/7 8:14

From Wayne County
There is a spot on the Lack that has been a favorite of mine for years. Some days I could catch a dozen or more in a couple hours in about a 100' stretch. And then I got skunked. Repeatedly. Some spots produce better in certain seasons. Others (like my favorite) are well known and easily accessible and the fish get educated. Its probably the same on every river.

If you go back, call or stop in at A & G, they're willing to suggest spots and current flies. I may be able to help as well although I rarely fish anymore (crazy work hours).

Fall is streamer time. My best has been a size 10 black bugger variation. Chartreuse bead, black marabou tail, black size medium polar flash body. If the water is clear a Moro's minnow is a good choice.

Posted on: 9/7 8:24

From Wayne County
Ant patterns usually produce well

Posted on: 9/7 8:39

I'm with BC on this one. If you tell me how good you are, the only thing you should require on new water is road directions to the parking area.

Posted on: 9/7 9:20

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Angling Trade E-Survey: How Many Outdoor Print Magazines Do You Subscribe To?
None. Nada. Zip. 50% (46)
One or two. 32% (30)
Three or four. 13% (12)
More than four. 3% (3)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2017/10/27 11:42
Comments?

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com